Cristina Saralegui Talk Show Host Univision, Miami Beach, FL
"El Show de Cristina" ranks as the number 1 Spanish-language talk show, with an estimated worldwide audience of more than 100 million viewers. Her monthly magazine Cristina La Revista provides in-depth looks at the subjects featured on her TV show. She airs her opinions every day on "Cristina Opina," a radio program heard in more than 90 countries.
Lalo Schifrin Composer Malibu, CA
Four-time Grammy Award winner and six-time Oscar nominee, Argentina-born composer Lalo Schifrin has written more than 150 film and TV scores, including Mission Impossible, Bullitt, Dirty Harry, and Enter the Dragon. This year Mr. Schifrin composed music for the films Rush Hour, starring Jackie Chan, and Tango, directed by Carlos Saura. He was also the recipient of the 1999 Lifetime Achievement Award by the IMAGEN Foundation. A BMI Life Achievement award winner, he has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
Lionel Sosa CEO/Media Consultant GarciaLKS/Bush for President, San Antonio, TX
His long career in Hispanic advertising positioned him to take a place on the George W. Bush for President media team, where he will be responsible for general advertising and public relations. He currently serves as CEO and strategic director of GarciaLKS, a multicultural advertising agency that creates diverse ads for such companies as Dr. Pepper and Anheuser Busch. Mr. Sosa is the author of The Americano Dream: How Latinos Can Achieve Success in Business and Life (1998). Once named Adweek's Advertising Executive of the Year, he serves on the Texas A&M Board of Regents.
William Soza President Soza & Co. Ltd., Fairfax, VA
The founding president of Soza & Co. has led the consulting firm from sole practitioner status to its current standing - the number 76 company on the Hispanic Business 500, with revenues of $51.8 million. In 1998, Mr. Soza was named the National Hispanic Businessman of the Year by the U.S. Hispanic Chamber of Commerce. Soza & Co. was recognized as 1998 Corporation of the Year by the Greater Washington Ibero-American Chamber of Commerce and as Small Business Contractor of the Year by the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
Bill Teck Editor Generation ˝ Magazine, Coral Gables, FL
This young editor from South Florida produces a bilingual, bicultural magazine directed toward an English-dominant Hispanic youth audience whose "favorite comfort foods are Rice Crispy Treats and pure de malanga." The Generation ˝ concept has expanded to encompass a television show with USA Broadcasting and a partnership with El Nuevo Herald whereby a Generation ˝ feature will appear in the newspaper each week. Mr. Teck's book The Official Spanglish Dictionary: Un User's Guia to More Than 300 Words and Phrases That Aren't Exactly Espa˝ol or Ingles has become a bestseller.
Brunilda Torres Post-Production Supervisor HBO, Brooklyn, NY
Beginning as a sound apprentice on Jan Kadar's Lies My Father Told Me (1975), Ms. Torres counts among her credits such films as Do the Right Thing, Juice, Jungle Fever, and Daybreak. As post-production supervisor at HBO, she has worked on the Emmy-nominated series "Sex and the City" and the award-winning "Chris Rock: Bring the Pain."
Most Popular Stories
- I never set out to be a role model but it's great to be one ; IN THE HOTSEATBetter known by his stage name Wretch 32, Jermaine Sinclair is a 28-year-old rapper from London. In 2011 his debut album Black and White sold over a million copies and scored three top five singles. His latest single Blackout was released this week
- Schedule packed with talent at the Fox
- Promoter McLean 'provided more musical joy than Dylan and Prince combined'
- SET PHASERS TO DUMB Spock emotional and in love? Nonstop explosions? The highly illogical enterprise of J.J. Abrams' 'Star Trek'
- Emirati announces new film project at Cannes
- European Car Sales up First Time in 20 Months
- SINCE YOU ASKED [Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (PA)]
- The Blade, Toledo, Ohio, TK Barger column
- Entrepreneurs Chase Social Media
- Detroit Free Press Julie Hinds column