7. Any companies interested in becoming database providers will need to enter into a contract with Ofcom. They will also need to demonstrate to Ofcom that they have passed various checks and undergo an assessment process in order to qualify to participate in the pilot.
8. For the purpose of the trial, device operators will need to obtain a licence from Ofcom.
10. One such application is intelligent crop irrigation: with M2M this could significantly reduce water wastage and crops could be fed with fewer fertilizers. Another is healthcare: wireless M2M monitoring of patients could improve mortality rates and reduce the pressure on hospitals. In energy, smart grids based on M2M could intelligently match energy supply more closely with demand, reducing the need for new generators. And in transport, M2M embedded in vehicles and the network could reduce congestion and improve road safety.
11. For a full list of Ofcom's proposed spectrum management priorities please refer to Spectrum Management Strategy, Ofcom's approach to and priorities for spectrum management over the next ten years.
12. The white space trial will start later this year and will continue into the first half of 2014. Following a successful completion of the pilot, Ofcom anticipates that the technology could be fully rolled out later in 2014, enabling the use of white space devices across the country.
13. For information on how white spaces devices will work, see Ofcom's previous online guide.
14. Under Ofcom's plans, a TV white space device will not be able to start transmitting until it receives clearance from a database qualified by Ofcom and listed in the statutory instrument setting out the terms of the licence exemption (or, for the purposes of the pilot, in the pilot licences) and on a dedicated Ofcom website. This database will provide up-to-date information on where the TV white spaces are located, and the power level to which devices should be restricted if they want to use the spaces. This will help ensure that there is a low probability of harmful interference with existing users of the spectrum.
White space trial participants
6Harmonics is a
Adaptrum is a wireless technology specialist based in
BT and technology specialist Neul2 will work with the
Most Popular Stories
- Twitter Coming to Phones Without Internet
- Entravision Initiates Quarterly Cash Dividend
- Warner Bros. Unleashes 'Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug' Merchandise
- How Monthly Jobs Reports Move the Markets' Needle
- Consistent Hiring Points to Stronger Economy Ahead
- Shanghai Smog Forces Factory Shutdowns
- Thad Cochran, 76, Seeks 7th Senate Term
- How to Arm Yourself Against CryptoLocker Virus
- Eagle Deaths OK'd for Wind Power
- Amanda Bynes Enrolls in California's FIDM