Now disrupted: Fitbit. Also, flashlight apps.
Shifting Shadow, STORMBREW, Flying Pig: New Snowden documents show NSA deemed
the potential infiltration of
Techmeme is now writing its own headlines >>
"This overhyped headline was written for Techmeme"
technology/archive/2013/08/the-17-designs-that-bell-almost-used-for-the-layout-of-telephone-buttons/279237/">The 17 designs that Bell almost used for the layout of telephone buttons >> The Atlantic
If you look at the number buttons on a phone - smart, cell, landline, what have you - those number buttons will feature, almost inevitably, a uniform layout. Ten digits, laid out on a three-by-three grid, with the tenth tacked on on the bottom. The numbers ascending from left to right, and from top to bottom.
This layout is so standardized that we think about it as almost inevitable. But the layout was, in the 1950s, the result of a good deal of strategizing and testing on the part of the people of Bell Labs.
See the diagram: it's amazing what was considered. They also identified those with lower error rates, and those where it was quicker to key the number.
The statement, from an
"We have no plans to offer a phone this year," said the spokesman in an email on Sunday. "If we were to launch a phone in the future, it would not be free." It is the first time
It rebutted it, not refuted it. One refutes a proof (showing it to be false through evidence); one rebuts a claim. Without letting us into
When quizzed on
Is Windows RT going to be one of the biggest blind alleys ever in software?
You can follow Guardian Technology's linkbucket on Pinboard
To suggest a link, either add it below or tag it with @gdntech on the free Delicious service.
Most Popular Stories
- Apple Wants Samsung to Pay $22M for Patent Dispute Legal Bills
- Twitter Coming to Phones Without Internet
- NASA Fellowships, Scholarships Bring Diversity to Workforce
- Dish Network Leads 2013 Top 50 Advertisers List
- Networks Vie for U.S. Hispanic TV Viewers
- Ad Counts Rise in 2013 for Hispanic Magazines
- Entravision Initiates Quarterly Cash Dividend
- Jobs Report Brings Cheer As Unemployment Drops to Five-year Low
- Starbucks Gets Grinchy; No Gingerbread Lattes for Tampa Customers
- Warner Bros. Unleashes 'Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug' Merchandise