* There was discussion about bringing technology-oriented corporations or educational foundations into the conversation about ocean education and science standards content and a suggestion to convene a panel composed of representatives from the private and foundation sectors.
* The ORAP education working group would like to meet (in person or teleconference) with an education representative from OSTP to discuss the CoSTEM recommendations and OSTP's strategy for informal and formal ocean education.
* For informal education, the report may recommend creating education teams composed of 3 members, one each with expertise in learning science, ocean science and delivery of educational content to the public. The report will include examples of successful informal learning programs.
* Expect to have a reasonably polished draft ready to share with the full ORAP before the August meeting.
Review of Draft Report: Implementing EBM--Given By
EBM Report Summary:
* The draft report was written before the Implementation Plan was released.
* Need to highlight the local/state lead.
* Had a set of case studies and examples.
* Need to do more in this section.
* Things are moving fast and some of the examples/case studies are out of date.
* Possible steps--
* Following May meeting, make additions based on discussions.
* Add examples.
* Emphasize importance of state/regional pull as criteria for pilot projects.
* Clean up text; review; share with full ORAP; incorporate feedback.
* Send draft to NOC for comment.
Action Item--Rosenberg, as lead for EBM report, will talk to Deerin Babb-Brott or another NOC EBM expert to find out if the release of the Implementation Plan changes the direction of the original tasking.
Highlights of the discussion:
* The report needs to recommend consistent talking points about EBM to put forward to the community.
* A description of "best practices" was the original focus of the report but "best practices" is a moving target. The report will be reorganized to emphasize case studies, including examples of regional cooperation and lessons learned, and to define criteria for pilot studies. There was a request to create a mechanism for regions who conduct pilot projects to report what was done and what did or did not work. It was suggested that the NOC facilitate communication between regions and encourage the creation of "best practices".
* Commercial enterprise prefers the federal agencies to be more aligned and to have a common way to react. Offshore wind and aquaculture industries are advancing quickly because they are new and there is not a federal structure in place that they have to fit.
* The report will be reorganized to emphasize the case studies, including examples of regional cooperation and lessons learned. The description of criteria for pilot projects will be expanded and will including geographic and sectoral criteria. The effort in the
* Intention is to provide a draft to the full ORAP by mid-June.
Most Popular Stories
- Accenture Gets 8 Percent Bump in Q1
- Texting With Vodka: Booze and Social Media Can Mix After All
- Lockheed Martin Ends Gifts to Boy Scouts Over Gay Ban
- Stripped-Down Defense Bill Creates Winners, Losers
- Debt Ceiling Looms Again as Deadline Approaches
- Menendez Pushes for Iran Sanctions
- Deportation Threat Looms Larger Than Citizenship Among Hispanics
- How to Protect Yourself After Target Data Breach
- Mazda Leads the Pack for Fuel Efficiency
- Senate Nears Approval of Defense Bill