* Initially, the working group bounded the report to cover only federal elements of research vs. infrastructure, but a discussion of public/private partnerships led to the decision to expand.
* OMB budget examination process seems to disfavor multiple agencies supporting similar topics, which discourages interagency or international collaboration and sharing of infrastructure. Should OMB establish a budget examiner for ocean infrastructure?
* The informal
* There are multiple interagency working groups but the agency representatives need to be people who can actually make decisions; this should be highlighted in the infrastructure report.
* The National Ocean Partnership Program (NOPP) is a good example of successful interagency interaction. It allows agencies to plan and collaborate. But ORAP needs to recognize the difficulty of accountability and oversight in collaborative environments.
* Three questions that should be considered in the report are:
* Is there sufficient research funding to take advantage of the infrastructure?
* How does research infrastructure transition to operational infrastructure?
* What mechanisms can be proposed to allow a transition from research to operations without erosion of maintenance?
* How can we sunset infrastructure or transfer it to another agency?
* Based on the discussion, modifications to the content and structure of the report will include:
* Discussion of private sector opportunities.
* High level cross-agency discussion rather than analysis of individual agency processes.
* Draft to be provided to full ORAP for consideration at the August meeting.
* If slight revisions required, plan to approve during an October teleconference. If major revision required, discuss again at winter ORAP meeting.
Briefing: Leveraging Ocean Education Opportunities--Given By
Highlights from the Brief include:
* A full draft should be ready after this meeting--executive summary, introduction/background, and NOC goals for education.
* 3 events related to education have transpired since ORAP started working on this report and need to be considered as the report is developed.
* The Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) have been released.
* There is an OSTP FY14 budget proposal to restructure federal STEM Education programs.
[ ] CoSTEM has recommended that STEM education funds be taken from mission agencies and given to
* The NOP Implementation Plan has been released.
Most Popular Stories
- Bipartisan Budget Deal Gets Key Support in House
- TFA Recruiting DACA Recipients
- Bitcoin Clones Lurch Onto Financial Scene
- Clinton to Keynote Annual Simmons Leadership Conference
- Scotch Whisky Sales Raise Distillers' Spirits
- Holiday Shopping Off to a Slow Start This Season
- Health Coverage Disparities Emerge Among States
- Podesta Likely to Reject Keystone XL
- Fake Deaf Interpreter Was Hallucinating, Has Schizophrenia
- Tea Party Glum in Face of Bipartisan Budget Deal