14. We need Life Alert systems, our home alarm system and communication with the outside world, especially in times of weather disasters such as the recent Hurricane Sandy. During that storm, which caused electrical power outages, our cell phone also failed. Our landline made it possible for us to contact our son and daughter, as well as emergency sources, should it become necessary. Since we do not drive, having a landline made it possible to contact neighbors should we need food and help. There are many stresses, which accompany aging. Losing touch with the outside world should not be another source of worry." -
15. "If Verizon were to abandon the
16. We rely on phone service for emergency response. In the short time that we have had Voice Link we have had problems in rainy weather. The Jetpack internet service that, with our limited mobility, we rely on to order medications, food and communicating with physicians is painfully slow and does not work at all on weekends." -
17. "My husband and I are seniors, and in the future may need life alert. That does not work on VoiceLink. There have been break-ins in our neighborhood, and we are going to install an alarm. That doesn't work on VoiceLink. We have been waiting not so patiently for
18. "If you are unfamiliar with
n1 I would like to thank my Public Knowledge colleagues
n3 Rural Call Completion, Notice of Proposed Rulemaking, WC Docket No. 13-39 (rel.
n4 FCC Enforcement Advisory, Rural Call Completion: Long Distance Providers Must Take Consumer Complaints About Rural Call Completion Problems Seriously (
n6 Rural Broadband Tales, http://placestories.com/project/7996#!v=stories.
n7 For a comparison of the capabilities of Voice Link and the previous copper-based telecommunications service, please see Appendix A.
n9 For more selected public comments submitted to the
n10 47 U.S.C. [Sec.] 151.
n11 47 U.S.C. [Sec.] 254(c).
n12 47 U.S.C. [Sec.] 222.
Read this original document at: http://www.commerce.senate.gov/public/?a=Files.Serve&File_id=c5b12974-f5d6-48f9-99dc-2854df0c2fc7
Most Popular Stories
- Twitter Coming to Phones Without Internet
- Twitter Names Woman to Board
- Obamacare Doing Just Fine, Ky. Governor Says
- Rand Paul Signs up for Obamacare
- How to Arm Yourself Against CryptoLocker Virus
- Thalia Gets Star on Hollywood Walk of Fame
- World Cup Draws: Coaches, Players Offer Insights
- Hispanic Employment Improves in November
- Trapped Florida Whales Head for Deeper Waters
- Aspen Contracting Adding 300 Jobs