4. Optimize Promoted Tweets for the local market. Brands are already targeting Promoted Tweets to specific geographic regions; now, they can also use Topsy to optimize their Promoted Tweet content in real-time around local trends or issues, making the content much more relevant.
5. Get a jump on the local competition. Brands can also now identify areas where a competitor's buzz or sentiment is weak in particular regions. For example, a cellular provider could use Topsy to uncover negative sentiment for their competition in the Chicago area, and immediately launch a regional campaign to capitalize on their competitors' lack of customer satisfaction.
Brands can also discover where competitors are testing new strategies based on regional social chatter. If a clothing retailer is testing out a new rewards program in a specific region, a competing retailer can monitor the buzz and sentiment around the new program. They may want to start their own conversation with local consumers to gain additional competitive insights, or target that same market for their own testing.
"Twitter is used throughout the world as a way to converse and share information, and analysis of those conversations has proved immensely valuable to brands and agencies," said Rishab Aiyer Ghosh, co-founder and chief scientist at Topsy. "Our updated geo-inference model continues to push the envelope with what is possible with enhanced geographic information. Now you can monitor whichever portion of the world's largest conversation is most relevant to you."
Behind the Science of Topsy's Geo-Inference Model
The most accurate geo-location data points associated with tweets are latitude and longitude, which are communicated when users opt-in to sharing their location from mobile devices equipped with GPS. However, only about one to two percent of all tweets contain latitude and longitude data, making it difficult to perform wide-scale geo-location analysis of Twitter data.
To address this issue, Topsy's geo-inference model uses latitude and longitude coordinates as "anchor" variables and adds other variables such as location names from users' profiles, tweet text, language, use of local websites, use of hashtags for local events and other signals to infer with high accuracy from where a user is communicating. Topsy's geo-inference model uses machine learning to automatically discover which signals are accurate predictors of location. Topsy analyzes over 450 million tweets every 24 hours, and geo-encodes each tweet in real time. This geo-encoded data is the basis for geographic insights displayed within the Topsy Pro platform, and provides users with deep, rich geographic analysis that can be performed for multiple years in real-time.
Topsy is a social analytics company that gives you instant answers to critical business questions through real-time analysis of public conversations. Operating the world's only index of the public social web, Topsy is used by some of the largest global marketing, news, entertainment, and financial organizations to get real-time insights into a wide variety of business questions: everything from spotting breaking news and identifying customer satisfaction issues, to gauging response to TV programming and understanding political sentiment. Many of the world's largest brands also use Topsy as their day-to-day social dashboard to discover and track the impact of trending topics and predict future events. Headquartered in San Francisco, Topsy is backed by BlueRun Ventures, Ignition Partners, Founders Fund and Scott Banister. For more information visit: http://about.topsy.com.
Most Popular Stories
- Accenture Gets 8 Percent Bump in Q1
- Alex Kinsey, Sierra Deaton Crowned 'X-Factor' Champs
- Insurance Rule Change Angers Industry
- Revised GDP Up 4.1 Percent in 3rd Quarter
- Obama Opens Last-Minute Loophole in Insurance Law
- Time No Longer Stands Still for Cuban Entrepreneurs
- Renewable Energy Group to Acquire Syntroleum
- Obama's Dad Was Abusive Drunk, Half Brother Says
- Brian Boitano Announces That He Is Gay
- Little Risk of Deportation Under Obama