On April 8, 2010, Harry Fraser risked his life to rescue a neighbour from a burning house, in Trenton, Nova Scotia. Alerted to the fire, Mr. Fraser called the fire department for help as he followed his neighbour back to her home. Mr. Fraser ran into the thick smoke after her, only to find the living room completely engulfed in flames. He shouted out to the woman, who had rushed to the second floor to find her dog. Blinded by the smoke, Mr. Fraser held a sweater over his mouth and nose, went upstairs and guided the owner outside. The flames were spreading quickly and the front window blew out just as they managed to escape to the street.
Matthew Patrick Gallant, M.B. Quesnel and Surrey, British Columbia Simon Glen Gallant, M.B. Quesnel and Surrey, British Columbia
On January 4, 2011, brothers Matthew and Simon Gallant rescued two toddlers from a burning apartment, in Surrey, British Columbia. From an adjacent apartment, Matthew and Simon heard the mother's screams for help and rushed over. Without any thought for their own safety, they ran in and out of the apartment several times, searching for the twin girls trapped inside. Despite the intense heat and limited visibility, Matthew finally located them in a bedroom. He brought one child out to the mother and ran back inside for the second child. Completely engulfed in smoke, Simon held the door open for Matthew as he brought out the other girl. Sadly, one of the twins did not survive.
Keith Glibbery, M.B. Ottawa, Ontario John Robert Jacques, M.B. Ottawa, Ontario Brock Elliott Nelson, M.B. Ottawa, Ontario
On October 19, 2009, Keith Glibbery, John Jacques and Brock Nelson saved the lives of several co-workers following an explosion at an Ottawa heating plant. A boiler had ruptured, sending superheated steam and smoke throughout the main room of the plant. Water pouring from ruptured pipes caused a short circuit in the electrical system and natural gas leaked from the boiler. Messrs. Glibbery, Jacques and Nelson ran up four flights of stairs through intense heat and low visibility to reach the roof to close the shut-off valve. The actions of these brave men prevented a massive loss of life; sadly, one of the employees injured in the blast did not survive.
Annie Mairin Caitlin Hutchison, M.B. Calgary, Alberta Sarah Beth Hutchison, M.B. Calgary, Alberta and Victoria, British Columbia
On July 9, 2010, sisters Annie and Sarah Beth Hutchison rescued their great-uncle from a possible drowning in the Winnipeg River, in Pine Falls, Manitoba. The family had been enjoying an afternoon of swimming when they realized that their 86-year-old great-uncle was caught in the swift current and quickly approaching the rapids further downstream. Annie swam out to him, removed her life jacket and helped him put it on. Sarah Beth swam out to them with two life jackets in tow and helped Annie put them on their great-uncle. The trio made their way to the riverbank where Annie and Sarah Beth were able to pull the victim out.
Lieutenant-Colonel David D. Johnson, M.B. Portsmouth, Virginia and O'Fallon, Illinois, U.S.A. David Garnet Mills, M.B. North Bay, Ontario Marilyn Marion Mills, M.B. North Bay, Ontario