preceding one," he wrote. "Bidding teams modify their proposals to reflect all
terms of the (request for proposals), including the scoring and evaluation
criteria."
He also asserted that the change in process did not lower the bar for technical
analysis. After contractors submitted bids in January, Morales wrote, "there
were two separate reviews of the technical portions, to ensure that all criteria
and requirements were met and that the proposers had demonstrated full
capability to deliver the project." Only after the technical reviews were
complete, he added, were the price envelopes opened.
The contractor's technical merit will be crucial because of the challenges
presented by the project -- a controversial and politically divisive effort that
will be closely scrutinized because it is the first chunk of the first
high-speed train system proposed in the United States.
In addition to building the railbed from Avenue 17 near Madera to American
Avenue south of Fresno, the project includes a new bridge over the San Joaquin
River; elevated tracks over Herndon Avenue; relocating portions of Golden State
Boulevard through northwest and central Fresno; a tunnel or trench under Belmont
Avenue, Highway 180 and a freight railroad line; elevated tracks above Highway
99 south of downtown Fresno; and a dozen new or rebuilt street over- or
underpasses.
The winning firm will be tasked with completing the design work -- which the
rail authority and consultants had drawn to about 30% completion -- and building
the line.
Change not explained
In its March 1, 2012 decision, the authority's board voted 5-0 to issue a
request for bids for the Madera-Fresno segment and to use a two-step method to
assess bids. At that time, five teams of contractors including Tutor
Perini/Zachry/Parsons were "pre-qualified" to bid based on their technical
capability to handle the job.
Thomas Fellenz, the authority's chief counsel, told the board that the two-step
analysis would "accomplish the goals of the authority best" by securing the most
technically sound bids and competitive prices.
The process called for a rigorous technical assessment of all of the bids while
each firm's price remained sealed. Only the three highest-ranked proposals under
the technical evaluation would be eligible to compete for cost. Among the
factors considered in the technical analysis were the contractor's understanding
of the project, conceptual engineering, ability to stay on schedule, solutions
to anticipated problems, quality and self-certification.
"We're making it very competitive because, you know, if you're not in the top
three, you'll be dropped off," Fellenz said last year.
The authority board's March 2012 vote also allowed the agency's CEO "to make
appropriate non-substantive changes" in consultation with board chairman Dan
Richard to the terms under which contractors were to submit bids.
The revised language detailing the bid-evaluation process was tucked innocuously
into an addendum to the agency's request for proposals -- the fourth such
addendum, issued on Aug. 22.
Wilcox, the authority's spokesman, would not address why a process approved by
the board in March was no longer suitable in August, or why the change was made
without notification to or approval by the board. The agency also did not
address who within the authority's leadership decided that changing the
bid-screening process was "non-substantive," or disclose when Richard, the board
chairman, was consulted by Morales on the amendment.
Addendum to contract
In his letter to legislators, Morales -- who was hired in June 2012 -- defended
the change. "Notification was sent to legislative staff and members of the
media" about changes throughout the bidding process, including the Aug. 22
addendum.
The August addendum and others were posted on the authority's website. However,
The Bee received no written or emailed notification of such changes, as has been
routine with many other aspects of high-speed rail media relations.
Between March 2012 and January 2013, when the contracting teams submitted their
bids, Morales said the agency issued nine addenda to the original request for
proposals as "bidders raised questions and concerns," Morales wrote. The
changes, he added, "ranged from highly detailed technical clarifications to
broader issues relating to liability and the manner in which the authority would
evaluate and score the proposals."
Addendum 4, Morales said, "required the authority to open the bids from all five
teams as long as each bid was technically sound."
The authority would not disclose whether any of the prospective contracting
teams threatened to not submit bids unless the process was changed.
___
(c)2013 The Fresno Bee (Fresno, Calif.)
Distributed by MCT Information Services
Most Popular Stories
- Summer Movie Forecast: Biggest Box Office Season Yet For 3D Movies, According to International 3D
- Fox, Twitter team up to promote TV shows, sell ads
- Guitar Center Sessions Updates on New Episodes Featuring The Smashing Pumpkins, Goo Goo Dolls, OneRepublic and Talib Kweli
- OSN strengthens regional footprint with new flagship showroom in Kuwait
- One hot summer
- Cinedigm's Docurama Launches New YouTube Channel
- 'How I Met Your Mother' mother revealed
- Movieline Rolls Out into the Online Video Space
- Daily Trivia Byte
- Stars light up the stage in memory of gentle giant ; REVIEW [Birmingham Mail (UK)]
News-To-Go
Advertisement
Advertisement
News Column
Calif. High-speed Rail Agency Changed Bidding Standards
Page 2 of 2
Source: Copyright Fresno Bee, The (CA) 2013
1 | 2 | Next >>
Story Tools



