* Sum of components may not equal total, due to rounding.
Goods-producing employment rose by 7,000 jobs in March, its slowest pace of growth in six months. Construction added no net jobs over the month; this follows average monthly gains of 29,000 in the three months prior. Meanwhile, manufacturers added 6,000 jobs.
Service-providing jobs increased by 151,000. Among the service industries reported by the ADP National Employment Report, professional/business services had the largest gain with 39,000 jobs added over the month. Trade/transportation/utilities added 22,000 jobs and financial activities added 9,000 jobs.
"The U.S. private sector added 158,000 jobs in the month of March 2013, with the majority of the new jobs created by service providers," said Carlos A. Rodriguez, president and chief executive officer of ADP. "Over the first quarter of 2013, the ADP National Employment Report has reported an average gain of 191,000 new private sector jobs per month."
Mark Zandi, chief economist of Moody's Analytics, said, "Job growth moderated in March. Construction employment gains paused as the rebuilding surge in the wake of Superstorm Sandy ended. Anticipation of Health Care Reform may also be weighing on employment at companies with close to 50 employees. The job market continues to improve, but in fits and starts."
To see Chart 1. Change in Total Nonfarm Private Employment, please click here: http://media.marketwire.com/attachments/201304/MOD-142285_Chart1ChangeinTotalNonfarmPrivateEmployment.jpg
To see Chart 2. Historical Trend -- Change in Total Nonfarm Private Employment, please click here: http://media.marketwire.com/attachments/201304/MOD-142286_Chart2HistoricalTrend-ChangeinTotalNonfarmPrivateEmployment.jpg
To see Chart 3. Change in Nonfarm Private Employment by Selected Industry, please click here: http://media.marketwire.com/attachments/201304/MOD-142287_Chart3ChangeinNonfarmPrivateEmploymentbySelectedIndustry.jpg
To see Chart 4. Change in Nonfarm Private Employment by Company Size, please click here: http://media.marketwire.com/attachments/201304/MOD-142288_Chart4ChangeinNonfarmPrivateEmploymentbyCompanySize.jpg
Most Popular Stories
- 5 Potential Snags to the Bipartisan Budget Deal
- Sonoma Growers Win Emerald Cup Cannabis Competition
- Rubio Offers Endorsements, Cash to 2014 GOP Candidates
- Phil Pustejovsky's Relief Real Estate Offers Seminars in Daytona Beach
- Cantor Fitzgerald Settles Suit
- GM Plant Tackles Tough Waste Challenge
- Legal Dope in Uruguay Breaks International Law, Says Buzzkill U.N.
- Pope Removes U.S. Archbishop from Powerful Post
- 'New Rich' May Be Barrier to Bridging Income Gap
- Researchers Question Effectiveness of Vitamins