* Sum of components may not equal total, due to rounding.
Goods-producing employment rose by 34,000 jobs in February, driven largely by a gain in construction jobs of 21,000. Meanwhile, manufacturers added 9,000 jobs.
Service-providing jobs increased by 164,000. Among the service industries reported by the ADP National Employment Report, trade/transportation/utilities services showed the largest gain with 45,000 jobs added over the month. Business/professional services added 35,000 jobs and financial activities added 7,000 jobs.
"In February 2013, the U.S. private sector added a total of 198,000 new jobs, with most of this job growth occurring in the services sector," noted Carlos A. Rodriguez, president and chief executive officer of ADP. "This growth can be attributed to comparable contributions across all three company size segments."
Mark Zandi, chief economist of Moody's Analytics, said, "The job market remains sturdy in the face of significant fiscal headwinds. Businesses are adding to payrolls more strongly at the start of 2013 with gains across all industries and business sizes. Tax increases and government spending cuts don't appear to be affecting the job market."
To see Chart 1. Change in Total Nonfarm Private Employment, please click here:
To see Chart 2. Historical Trend - Change in Total Nonfarm Private Employment, please click here: http://media.marketwire.com/attachments/201303/MOD-134311_Chart2.HistoricalTrend-ChangeinTotalNonfarmPrivateEmployment.jpg
To see Chart 3. Change in Nonfarm Private Employment by Selected Industry, please click here: http://media.marketwire.com/attachments/201303/MOD-134312_Chart3.ChangeinNonfarmPrivateEmploymentbySelectedIndustry.jpg
To see Chart 4. Change in Nonfarm Private Employment by Company Size, please click here: http://media.marketwire.com/attachments/201303/MOD-134313_Chart4.ChangeinNonfarmPrivateEmploymentbyCompanySize.jpg
Most Popular Stories
- NSA Defends Global Cellphone Tracking Legality
- Ad Counts Rise in 2013 for Hispanic Magazines
- Top Websites for U.S. Hispanics
- Networks Vie for U.S. Hispanic TV Viewers
- Saab Gets Back into the Game; U.S. Auto Sales Soar
- Apple Activates Customer-Tracking iBeacon
- Dell Offers Undisclosed Number of Employee Buyouts
- 2013 Tech Gift Guide: iPad Mini Still Hot; Chromecast a Great Low-Cost Option
- Authorities Close to Deal with JPMorgan Chase over Madoff Response
- A Biography of Jonathan Ive, Apple's Creative Chief