* Sum of components may not equal total, due to rounding.
Goods-producing employment rose by 34,000 jobs in February, driven largely by a gain in construction jobs of 21,000. Meanwhile, manufacturers added 9,000 jobs.
Service-providing jobs increased by 164,000. Among the service industries reported by the ADP National Employment Report, trade/transportation/utilities services showed the largest gain with 45,000 jobs added over the month. Business/professional services added 35,000 jobs and financial activities added 7,000 jobs.
"In February 2013, the U.S. private sector added a total of 198,000 new jobs, with most of this job growth occurring in the services sector," noted Carlos A. Rodriguez, president and chief executive officer of ADP. "This growth can be attributed to comparable contributions across all three company size segments."
Mark Zandi, chief economist of Moody's Analytics, said, "The job market remains sturdy in the face of significant fiscal headwinds. Businesses are adding to payrolls more strongly at the start of 2013 with gains across all industries and business sizes. Tax increases and government spending cuts don't appear to be affecting the job market."
To see Chart 1. Change in Total Nonfarm Private Employment, please click here:
To see Chart 2. Historical Trend - Change in Total Nonfarm Private Employment, please click here: http://media.marketwire.com/attachments/201303/MOD-134311_Chart2.HistoricalTrend-ChangeinTotalNonfarmPrivateEmployment.jpg
To see Chart 3. Change in Nonfarm Private Employment by Selected Industry, please click here: http://media.marketwire.com/attachments/201303/MOD-134312_Chart3.ChangeinNonfarmPrivateEmploymentbySelectedIndustry.jpg
To see Chart 4. Change in Nonfarm Private Employment by Company Size, please click here: http://media.marketwire.com/attachments/201303/MOD-134313_Chart4.ChangeinNonfarmPrivateEmploymentbyCompanySize.jpg
Most Popular Stories
- Facebook, Twitter Announce Apps for Google Glass
- Will Yahoo Splurge on $1-Billion acquisition of Tumblr?
- European Car Sales up First Time in 20 Months
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Return of Khan?
- Google Fiber Making an Impact
- Entrepreneurs Chase Social Media
- Financial Times Twitter, Email Hacked
- Exciting Night for UFC Fans
- Summer Movies Aimed at Young Men, Teen Boys
- Teen Drivers Should Be Prepared for Any Car-Related Situation