BUSINESS RISKS AND RISK MANAGEMENT
Our business is subject to certain risks and uncertainties. Prior to making any investment decision regarding Newalta, investors should carefully consider, among other things, the risks described herein (including the risks and uncertainties listed on the front page of this MD&A and throughout this MD&A) and the risk factors set forth in the most recently filed Annual Information Form of Newalta which are incorporated by reference herein. For further information on our risk management framework, please refer to page 43 of our 2011 Annual Report.
The Annual Information Form is available through the internet on the Canadian System for Electronic Document Analysis and Retrieval ("SEDAR") which can be accessed at www.sedar.com. Copies of the Annual Information Form may be obtained, on request without charge, from Newalta Corporation at 211 - 11th Avenue S.W., Calgary, Alberta T2R 0C6, or by facsimile at (403) 806-7032.
FINANCIAL AND OTHER INSTRUMENTS
The carrying values of accounts receivable and accounts payable approximate the fair value of these financial instruments due to their short term maturities. Our credit risk from our customers is mitigated by our broad customer base and diverse product lines. Historically, on an annual basis, our top 25 customers generate approximately 40% of our total revenue, with 12% of these customers having a credit rating of A or higher and 52% of these customers having ratings of BBB or higher. In the normal course of operations, we are exposed to movements in U.S. dollar exchange rates relative to the Canadian dollar. The foreign exchange risk arises primarily from U.S. dollar denominated long-term debt and working capital. We have not entered into any financial derivatives to manage the risk for the foreign currency exposure as at December 31, 2012. Management assesses our working capital foreign exchange exposure regularly and may draw U.S. denominated long-term debt as required, which serves as a natural hedge, to mitigate our balance sheet exposure. The floating interest rate profile of our long-term debt exposes us to interest rate risk. We do not use hedging instruments to mitigate this risk. The carrying value of the senior secured long-term debt approximates fair value due to its floating interest rates. For further information regarding our financial and other instruments, please refer to Note 17 to the Financial Statements for the three months and year ended December 31, 2012.
During the year, we recorded an impairment of $1.6 million on our available for sale financial asset due to a decline in investment value. The change in value has been reclassified from other comprehensive loss to finance charges in accordance with IAS 39 requirements.
DISCLOSURE CONTROLS AND PROCEDURES AND INTERNAL CONTROL OVER FINANCIAL REPORTING
The Chief Executive Officer and the Chief Financial Officer (collectively the "Certifying Officers") have evaluated the design and effectiveness of our disclosure controls and procedures as of December 31, 2012, and have concluded that such disclosure controls and procedures were effective. In additional, the Certifying Officers have evaluated the design and effectiveness of our internal control over financial reporting as of December 31, 2012, and have concluded that such internal controls over financial reporting were effective. There have not been any changes in the internal control over financial reporting in Q4 of 2012 that have materially affected, or are reasonably likely to materially affect, our internal control over financial reporting.
Most Popular Stories
- 15 Myths That Could Ruin Your Hispanic Ad Campaign
- AIG to Create 230 Jobs in Charlotte
- General Motors Names Mary Barra as First Female CEO
- Russia Says Nyet to Canada North Pole Claim
- Bipartisan Negotiators Reach Modest Budget Agreement
- Senate Dems Move Forward With Obama Nominees
- Justin Bieber Visits Typhoon Victims, Plays Concert
- New Obama Aide to Focus on Climate Change
- Obama Nominee Confirmed for D.C. Appeals Court
- MasterCard to Split Shares, Raise Dividend