* Sum of components may not equal total, due to rounding.
Goods-producing employment rose by 28,000 jobs in December as a large gain in construction jobs of 39,000 more than offset the 11,000 decline in manufacturing employment.
Service-providing jobs increased by 187,000. Among the service industries reported by the ADP National Employment Report, trade/transportation/utilities services had the largest gain with 53,000 jobs added over the month. Professional/business services added 37,000 jobs and financial activities added 14,000 jobs in December.
Carlos A. Rodriguez, president and chief executive officer of ADP, said, "During the final month of 2012, U.S. private sector employment ended the year on a positive note as 215,000 jobs were added -- the ADP National Employment Report's largest monthly gain since February 2012. During the past year, the private sector added a total of more than 1.7 million jobs."
Mark Zandi, chief economist of Moody's Analytics, said, "The job market held firm in December despite the intensifying fiscal cliff negotiations in Washington. Businesses even became somewhat more aggressive in their hiring at year end. Most encouraging is the revival in construction jobs, although the December gain was likely lifted by rebuilding after Superstorm Sandy. The job market ended 2012 on a more solid footing."
To see Chart 1. Change in Total Nonfarm Private Employment, please click here: http://media.marketwire.com/attachments/201301/MOD-115444_chart1-changeintotal.jpg
To see Chart 2. Historical Trend - Change in Total Nonfarm Private Employment, please click here: http://media.marketwire.com/attachments/201301/MOD-115445_chart2-historicaltrend.jpg
To see Chart 3. Change in Nonfarm Private Employment by Selected Industry, please click here: http://media.marketwire.com/attachments/201301/MOD-115446_chart3-changebyindustry.jpg
To see Chart 4. Change in Nonfarm Private Employment by Company Size, please click here: http://media.marketwire.com/attachments/201301/MOD-115448_chart4-changebysize.jpg
Most Popular Stories
- SEO Traffic Lab Celebrate Wins at Digital Marketing Event 'Internet World 2013' in London
- Social Media Initiatives Should Follow Customers' Lead
- Apple CEO: Offshore Units Not a 'Tax Gimmick'
- U.S. Senate Accuses Apple of Large-scale Tax Avoidance
- UTEP Water Recycling Project Wins Venture Titles
- Marketo Makes a Mint in IPO: Stock Shoots Up More than 50 Percent
- Bieber Booed at Billboard Awards
- Crude Oil Up, Gasoline Down
- Austin Startup Compare Metrics Raises $3.5 Million for Expansion
- Why So Many Top 'Car Guys' Are Actually Women