3. Give the water heater a boost: A hot shower is an even hotter commodity during the dreary winter months, so make sure the hot water heater is bundled up this winter. Water heater blankets help insulate the tank and allow the water to stay warmer longer. This cuts down on energy costs and makes the water tank system more efficient, saving homeowners $30 a year on their bill. To learn how to install this money-saving update, watch this Build.com video on How to Install a Water Heater Blanket.
For an even bigger savings, consider upgrading to a tankless water heater. They offer convenience without the high cost of keeping water hot -- saving the average homeowner more than $100 a year.
For optimal savings, set the water heater to 120 degrees. It's estimated that setting a water heater too high -- 140 degrees or above -- wastes anywhere from $36 - $61 annually in standby heat losses.
"Heating and cooling account for more than half of the average utility bill. These three changes may seem small, but together they'll make a huge dent in your winter bills," stated Murphy.
Build.com is committed to smarter home improvement. The company offers a massive selection of showroom-quality products and unique customization for both DIYers and building professionals. The company prides itself on having the best customer service in the industry, including a support center with extensive category knowledge standing by seven days a week to answer any questions. The money-saving suggestions included above were sourced from Build.com's team of experts.
To learn more about Build.com and its Network of Stores, visit: www.build.com.
Build.com is the leading online-only home improvement retailer, creating a smarter shopping experience for consumers and professionals. The site offers more than 700,000 top-quality, highly customizable products, and is the category leader in plumbing, lighting, door hardware and ventilation. The site is a one-stop destination for any home improvement project, featuring DIY tips, how-to videos and a dedicated staff of customer care representatives available seven days a week. Build.com was founded in 2000, and is headquartered in Chico, CA. For more information on Build.com, visit the company's website (http://corp.build.com) and its Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/BuildDotCom).
Most Popular Stories
- Networks Vie for U.S. Hispanic TV Viewers
- Ad Counts Rise in 2013 for Hispanic Magazines
- 2014 World Cup Official Noisemakers Quieter than Vuvuzelas
- Saab Gets Back into the Game; U.S. Auto Sales Soar
- Dell Offers Undisclosed Number of Employee Buyouts
- Authorities Close to Deal with JPMorgan Chase over Madoff Response
- Apple Activates Customer-Tracking iBeacon
- 2013 Tech Gift Guide: iPad Mini Still Hot; Chromecast a Great Low-Cost Option
- It's No Yolk: Food-tech Startups Take Aim at Replacing Eggs
- A Biography of Jonathan Ive, Apple's Creative Chief