To prevent an eye injury from ruining Fourth of July celebrations, the American Academy of Ophthalmology urges Americans to follow these tips:
•Never let children play with fireworks of any type. •View fireworks from at least 500 feet away. •Leave the lighting of fireworks to trained professionals. •Respect safety barriers set up to allow pyrotechnicians to do their jobs safely. •If you find unexploded fireworks, do not touch them. Immediately contact your local fire or police departments.
If you experience an eye injury during a fireworks accident, seek immediate medical help from an ophthalmologist, an eye medical doctor. For more fireworks safety tips, visit www.geteyesmart.org.
About the American Academy of Ophthalmology
The American Academy of Ophthalmology is the world's largest association of eye physicians and surgeons -- Eye M.D.s -- with more than 32,000 members worldwide. Eye health care is provided by the three "O's" -- ophthalmologists, optometrists, and opticians. It is the ophthalmologist, or Eye M.D., who can treat it all: eye diseases, infections and injuries, and perform eye surgery. For more information, visit www.aao.org.
The American Academy of Ophthalmology's EyeSmart® program educates the public about the importance of eye health and empowers them to preserve their healthy vision. EyeSmart provides the most trustworthy and medically accurate information about eye diseases, conditions and injuries. OjosSanos is the Spanish-language version of the program. Visit www.geteyesmart.org or www.ojossanos.org to learn more.
(1) Consumer Product Safety Commission, 2010 Fireworks Annual Report, accessed at http://www.cpsc.gov/library/2010fwreport.pdf
(2) British Journal of Ophthalmology, Ocular firework trauma: a systematic review on incidence, severity, outcome and prevention, accessed at http://bjo.bmj.com.proxy1.library.jhu.edu/content/94/12/1586.full#ref-11
Embedded Video Available
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2019296
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2019299
Audio-Link Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2019399
Embedded Video Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2019304
Embedded Video Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2019300
Add to Digg Bookmark with del.icio.us Add to Newsvine
Most Popular Stories
- Twitter Names Woman to Board
- NSA Tracks 5 Billion Cellphone Records a Day
- Nelson Mandela Dies After Momentous Life
- Nelson Mandela Dead at 95
- W.H. Corrects Itself on Unclegate
- Pope Francis Says He'll Fight Child Sex Abuse
- Yemen Attack Kills 52
- Fast-Food Workers Want $15 an Hour
- Roybal-Allard Tours Gordon Brush Plant
- Aspen Contracting Adding 300 Jobs