Service area: New York, New Jersey, Puerto Rico
Executive director: Maria Elena Girone
10. Association for the Advancement of Mexican Americans
6001 Gulf Freeway
Houston, TX 77023
Year established: 1970
2003 expenditures: $14.82 million
2003 revenues: $14.88 million
Mission: To advance the lives of at-risk youth and families through programs in the areas of education, technology, health and social service.
Service area: Texas, Washington, D.C.
President/CEO: Gilbert Moreno
11. Congreso de Latinos Unidos
216 W. Somerset Street
Philadelphia, PA 19124
Year established: 1977
2003 expenditures: $12.96 million
2003 revenues: $13.60 million
Mission: To strengthen Latino communities through social, economic, education and health services; leadership development; and advocacy.
Service area: North Philadelphia
Executive director: Nicholas Torres
12. El Valor
1850 W. 21st St.
Chicago, IL 60608
Year established: 1973
2003 Expenditures: $12.79 million
2003 Revenues: $12.29 million
Mission: To support and challenge urban families to achieve excellence and participate fully in community life. Our programs exist to enrich and empower people with disabilities, the disenfranchised and the undeserved. El Valor builds stronger, more inclusive communities by promoting early childhood development, enriching youth, supporting people with disabilities, strengthening families, and developing leadership.
Service area: Chicago and vicinity
President/CEO: Vincent A. Allocco
13. Casa Central Social Services Corp.
1343 N. California Ave.
Chicago, IL 60622
Year established: 1954
2003 expenditures: $11.87 million
2003 revenues: $11.84 million
Mission: To stabilize and empower individuals and families, encourage self-sufficiency, and promote healthy family and community functioning in metropolitan Chicago through a continuum of social service programs that is creative, adaptable to levels of need, and comprehensive in nature. Special emphasis is placed on the needs of Hispanics.
Service area: Chicago metropolitan area
President/CEO: Ann R. Alvarez
14. Nuevo Amanecer Latino Children Services
Most Popular Stories
- Twitter Names Woman to Board
- Aspen Contracting Adding 300 Jobs
- NSA Tracks 5 Billion Cellphone Records a Day
- Nelson Mandela Dies After Momentous Life
- Ford Mustang Still Packs Power
- Roybal-Allard Tours Gordon Brush Plant
- Fast-Food Workers Want $15 an Hour
- W.H. Corrects Itself on Unclegate
- Nelson Mandela Dead at 95
- Pope Francis Says He'll Fight Child Sex Abuse