Introduction by Senior Editor Joel Russell. Top Hispanic Nonprofits directory research by Business Economist Juan Solana, Research Supervisor J. Tabin Cosio, and Research Associates Cynthia Marquez and Mike Caplinger.
2003 Hispanic Business Nonprofit 25
1. MEXICAN AMERICAN OPPORTUNITY FOUNDATION (MAOF)
401 N. Garfield Ave.
Montebello, CA 90640
Phone: (323) 890-9600
Year established: 1963
2002 expenditures: $59,569,000
2002 revenues: $60,317,000
Mission: To provide comprehensive multi-purpose educational and charitable assistance to the general public, with emphasis on families at risk, senior citizens, and children.
Service area: California (six counties)
President: Martin Castro
2. THE ASPIRA ASSOCIATION
1444 Eye St. NW, #800
Washington, DC 20005
Phone: (202) 835-3600
Year established: 1961
2002 expenditures: $38,000,000
2002 revenues: $38,000,000
Mission: To empower the Puerto Rican and Latino community through advocacy and the education and leadership development of its youth.
Service area: Nationwide and Puerto Rico
Executive director: Ronald Blackburn-Moreno
3. CHICANOS POR LA CAUSA (CPLC)
1112 E. Buckeye Rd.
Phoenix, AZ 85034
Phone: (602) 257-0700
Year established: 1969
2002 expenditures: $37,945,947
2002 revenues: $38,121,951
Mission: To build strong, healthier communities as a lead advocate, coalition builder, and direct service provider. CPLC works to promote positive change and self-sufficiency to enhance the quality of life for the benefit of those served.
Service area: Arizona (statewide)
President/CEO: Pete C. Garcia
4. HISPANIC SCHOLARSHIP FUND (HSF)
55 Second St., #1500
San Francisco, CA 94105
Phone: (415) 808-2300
Year established: 1975
2002 expenditures: $29,340,587
2002 revenues: $25,614,792
Mission: To increase the percentage of Hispanics who earn college degrees to 18 percent by the year 2010.
Service area: Nationwide
President/CEO: Sara Martinez Tucker
5. SER METRO DETROIT, JOBS FOR PROGRESS
Most Popular Stories
- Updates on Everglades' Stranded Pilot Whales
- NSA Tracks 5 Billion Cellphone Records a Day
- Hezbollah Chief's Assassination Claimed by Sunni Group
- Stolen Cobalt-60 Recovered in Mexico
- Wind Power and Wildlife Can Coexist
- Ford Mustang Still Packs Power
- Allstate Seeks to Invest in Minority Firms
- Sarmiento to Handle Greeley Latin Ops
- First-time Jobless Claims Drop Below 300,000
- White House Pushes to Extend Unemployment Benefits