The AEU has condemned Education Minister
AEU Federal President
"He showed his true colours by standing up in Parliament and effectively laughing at the prospect of these schools being stripped of funding under the Abbott Government's budget cuts.
"He showed his contempt for the teachers, students and parents who believe in needs-based schools funding and understand its importance.
"The Abbott Government has never believed in equitable, needs-based funding for schools.
"It rejected the principles of the Gonski Review of education funding within twenty minutes of its release. It lied about being on a "unity ticket" on Gonski funding while in Opposition and has worked to dismantle and undermine needs-based funding since it was elected.
"Abandoning the last two years of Gonski funding agreements will see schools lose two-thirds of the extra funding to be delivered under the full agreements and will mean some schools will not reach minimum resource standards.
"On top of this the Abbott Government has broken a promise to increase the 'disability loading' from 2015, and will in fact strip out
"To see Minister Pyne trivialise the issue of schools funding in an attempt to justify his agenda of budget cuts and higher fees for universities was a disgrace.
Most Popular Stories
- Doctor Who Christmas Episode Begins Production
- HCL America Adding 1,200 IT Jobs
- Medical Mfg. Jobs Coming to Dayton
- Michael Jackson, Freddie Mercury on Previously Unreleased Queen Cut
- Longtime Unemployed to Get Help in Las Vegas
- SpaceX Aims for Predawn Launch on Saturday
- Women Key to Democratic Party: Clinton
- U.S. Chamber Caught Up in Tax Inversion Question
- Feds Won't Say How Many Border Crossers Jailed
- Christie Didn't Order Bridge Shut Down, Feds Say