The AEU has condemned Education Minister
AEU Federal President
"He showed his true colours by standing up in Parliament and effectively laughing at the prospect of these schools being stripped of funding under the Abbott Government's budget cuts.
"He showed his contempt for the teachers, students and parents who believe in needs-based schools funding and understand its importance.
"The Abbott Government has never believed in equitable, needs-based funding for schools.
"It rejected the principles of the Gonski Review of education funding within twenty minutes of its release. It lied about being on a "unity ticket" on Gonski funding while in Opposition and has worked to dismantle and undermine needs-based funding since it was elected.
"Abandoning the last two years of Gonski funding agreements will see schools lose two-thirds of the extra funding to be delivered under the full agreements and will mean some schools will not reach minimum resource standards.
"On top of this the Abbott Government has broken a promise to increase the 'disability loading' from 2015, and will in fact strip out
"To see Minister Pyne trivialise the issue of schools funding in an attempt to justify his agenda of budget cuts and higher fees for universities was a disgrace.
Most Popular Stories
- Hispanic Entrepreneurs Short-changed in Texas
- Washington's 'The Equalizer' Debuts With $35 Million
- Is North Korea's Kim Jong Ill?
- International Coffee Day Means Free Coffee at Dunkin' Donuts, Krispy Kreme, McDonalds
- Pending U.S. Home Sales Slid in August
- Jerry Brown Signs 'Yes Means Yes' Law
- Drunk Driver Rear Ends Jennifer Lopez, Leah Remini's Car
- George Clooney Says 'I Do' For a Second Time
- GoPro Launching Three New Cameras
- Macy's Boosts Holiday Hiring 3.6 Percent