JAMESTOWN, Sept. 4 -- The State Historical Society of North Dakota issued the following news release:
The State Historical Society of North Dakota and the 1883 Courthouse Committee will open the doors to the 1883 Stutsman County Courthouse, Jamestown, for the first time in decades on September 13, 2014, from 1 to 5 p.m. The public is invited to tour the courthouse, speak with interpreters, and learn about future rehabilitation plans for the interior. This will be the first opportunity in over 30 years for the public to see inside the building.
The historic Stutsman County Courthouse, located at 504 Third Avenue SE, Jamestown, is the oldest surviving courthouse in North Dakota and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. During the days of Dakota Territory, meetings were held in the courthouse in preparation for statehood. The building is considered a superb, and rare example in the upper midwest, of the Gothic-Revival style of architecture. The interior is outstanding for its stamped metal ornamentation that dates to 1905.
Restoration efforts have stabilized the exterior of the courthouse, and the State Historical Society is currently installing a new mechanical system. This is the first of many projects that will eventually lead to the courthouse becoming a state historic site open for tours.
CC AutoTriage5rn-140905-30FurigayJane-4848385 30FurigayJane