IT'S CONTROVERSIAL abroad but now it's a download away at a city near you. It's
Once a match has been made, the taxi's details - including a photo of the driver - are sent to the user who can track the taxi through GPS as it makes its way to them.
In the taxi, the user's phone becomes the trip meter as it follows the route taken to the destination.
At the end of the trip payment is made automatically by the |app using preloaded credit card information.
In cities across
The service does not do pre-bookings as normal taxis do, or follow designated routes.
Central operations are run by the company, but each driver runs and manages his own vehicle.
"The drivers and their cars are carefully screened. Security and criminal record tests are done continually. When requesting a ride, the information, photo and details of the driver are sent to the passengers who can, in turn, share them with a family member or friend if they are nervous," Lits said.
The system is also cash-less.
Once the booking is made, the fare will automatically be deducted from the credit card used to register.
Many drivers who were previously self-employed or worked for other taxi services, have joined.
"They have freedom to work their own hours. Once they log in to say they are available, they will be dispatched to the closest passenger.
"We have empowered many drivers who are now making a good living," he said.
Maboys Dube, a driver linked to
Dube, who used to drive for another company, says he is kept very busy on weekend nights as his services are required by people who do not want to drink and drive.
Most Popular Stories
- Cape Cod Building Mussel Industry
- Hollywood Eager to Grasp Hispanic Market
- Frightfully Fun Films Return for Halloween
- Would Soccer Be Richer Without Small Clubs?
- Cloud Lifts Microsoft's Quarterly Results
- Sears Denies Store Closings, Layoffs Report
- Weekly Jobless Claims Rise but Remain Low
- IS Funded by Black Market Oil Sales, Racketeering
- Pfizer Approves $11 Billion Buyback Plan
- Teresa Giudice Must Serve Time in Prison