The Wilderness Act, a cornerstone of America's conservation laws, marks its 50th anniversary
To celebrate this important anniversary, the Smithsonian's
The exhibition is complemented by the premiere of the Smithsonian Channel program, "Aerial America: Wilderness," which airs nationally beginning
"Wilderness Forever" is a juried photography competition that celebrates the majesty, diversity and value of the nation's wilderness areas. More than 5,000 entries were submitted by professional, amateur and youth photographers from across the nation and world. Fifty winning entries will be displayed as awe-inspiring large-format prints. The exhibition also features a fossil skull of Bistahieversor sealeyi, a species of tyrannosaur discovered on wilderness lands; interactive touch-screen maps of wilderness created by
Part of the Smithsonian Channel's popular Aerial America series, "Aerial America: Wilderness" provides a bird's eye view of some of America's most spectacular wilderness areas while weaving an inspiring tale about the people, events and places that made the landmark Wilderness Act possible.
The exhibition was developed in conjunction with Nature's Best Photography and Wilderness50, a coalition of government agencies, conservation and community organizations and academic institutions collectively celebrating the anniversary nationwide.
Visitors can learn more about the exhibition and vote for their favorite photos at Smithsonian.com.
TNS 18EstebanLiz-140904-30FurigayJane-4845985 30FurigayJane
Most Popular Stories
- Scholarships Offered for Hispanic Heritage Month
- Latin America Seeks Ways to Add Value to China Exports
- Boeing Succeeds in Early Wooing of China Airline Startups
- Hope Solo Sets Shutout Record in US Rout of Mexico
- Hurdles for Obama Health Law in Second Enrollment Season
- Etsy Says 'No' to Redskins Logo, Name
- Steve Ballmer Files Six-Figure Counterclaim vs. Steve Gordon
- IS Releases New Beheading Video
- Detroit Bankruptcy: Pivotal Progress in Trial's Second Week
- Sneak Peek: A Roundup of 2015 New Models