THE naked body of a 16- yearold girl, who protested against a kangaroo court diktat to save her father from being beaten by locals for failure to repay a loan, was mysteriously found by railway tracks in
The girl's body was found in Dhupguri of Jalpaiguri district, about 680 km north of
According to sources, the girl went missing on Monday night after the village court asked her father to repay a loan of ` 4,000 or be beaten by local villagers.
When the girl protested against this, she was allegedly even asked to lick spit of village elders. According to sources, the husband of
The party, however, denied his role in the matter.
After the victim's body was found on Tuesday, her father lodged an FIR with the police and named 13 persons in his complaint. The local police arrested three people— in connection with the alleged rape and murder of the teen— who were produced before a district court on Wednesday.
According to sources, the police appealed for five- day police custody. " We have arrested two of the girl's neighbours even though the case was first registered by the
Condemning the incident, activists associated with the
In January this year, a young woman was allegedly raped by 13 men in Birbhum district on the orders of a village headman after it was learnt that she had an affair with a man from another community.
Most Popular Stories
- German Intelligence Blames Ukraine Rebels for MH17
- Cable TV Not Going Away, Says Cable TV
- 'Fury' Blows 'Gone Girl' Out of the Box Office
- Prius Drivers Battle Stereotypes
- Turkey to Help Kurds Reach Fight in Kobani
- 'Fury' Gets Into Soldiers' Minds: Brad Pitt
- Car Drivers Warned to Get Air Bags Fixed
- Alabama House Speaker Arrested on Felony Ethics Charges
- Clinton Rallies Early Vote for Landrieu
- Perez Leads Push for Obama's Job Proposals