The wide-based NSE Nifty index rose by 31.55 points to close at record 8,114.60 points. The index touched intra-trade record high of 8,141.90 points, surpassing previous record of 8,101.95 hit on Tuesday.
The 30-share Sensex opened on a strong footing and rose quickly to new intra-day high of 27,225.85 points as buying momentum picked up.
But gains were capped by profit-booking at record levels and the barometer settled at 27,139.94 — fresh record closing level — with net gains of 120.55 points or 0.45 per cent over last close.
The Sensex bettered its previous closing peak of 27,019.39 hit on Tuesday. The gauge has now gathered over 825 points in nine straight sessions.
Shares, spread over a broad front, have been hitting new highs for the past few sessions on optimism that the
IT stocks, led by TCS, were in the limelight on fresh spell of buying after bullish US manufacturing and construction data. TCS,
Half of the 30 Sensex stocks closed with gains while the rest ended lower. Brokers said narrowing current account deficit, better-than-expected GDP growth in April-June quarter continued fund flows. Softening crude prices, hovering at multi-months low have buoyed trading sentiments.
Fall in the dollar value overseas on news that
Sustained portfolio investments and exporters -who were long on
At the Interbank Foreign Exchange (Forex) market, the domestic unit commenced better at 60.64 a dollar from previous close of 60.68 and immediately touched a low of 60.69. Later, it gradually bounced back to a high of 60.33 before surrendering some of its gain to settle at 60.49, still showing a rise of
Most Popular Stories
- Study: Recessions Can Postpone Motherhood Forever
- Hispanic Entrepreneurs Short-changed in Texas
- Hispanics Carry Big Clout: Census
- Washington's 'The Equalizer' Debuts With $35 Million
- Effort to Oust Assad Put on Hold
- Qantas Puts World's Largest Plane on Longest Route
- Los Angeles Set to Host Small Business Summit
- Chicago Flight Delays: Questions Answered
- White House Intruder Got Farther Than Reported
- Jeb Bush: GOP Senate Would 'Fix a Few Things'