The cancellation of a press photographers' course at a Sheffield college, evidently due to a lack of interest, has raised fears about the future for regional newspaper staff photography.
After only five people applied to study for the NCTJ-accredited photojournalism diploma at
However, it may be restored in
A similar course at Bournemouth university is also reported to have closed. Delmar says: "There is no doubt in my mind that without these courses for photographers everyone will suffer. There is no future for regional newspapers if the job is not done properly.
"If a reporter takes a picture to illustrate a story, it's not doing justice to their own story. Ask a journalist how they would like their story to be best illustrated and the answer is always with a picture taken by a trained photographer."
NCTJ photography courses have been running uninterrupted at
Most Popular Stories
- Frightfully Fun Films Return for Halloween
- Would Soccer Be Richer Without Small Clubs?
- Pfizer Approves $11 Billion Buyback Plan
- Cloud Lifts Microsoft's Quarterly Results
- IS Funded by Black Market Oil Sales, Racketeering
- Hollywood Eager to Grasp Hispanic Market
- Jennifer Aniston, Justin Theroux Set the Date
- Weekly Jobless Claims Rise but Remain Low
- Stocks Continue Strong After Opening Surge
- Teresa Giudice Must Serve Time in Prison