She said: "The DCRC encourages families to donate cord blood stem cells so that we have a strong
She added that the centre has 3,377 units collected, of which nine were released for patients (all children) who needed them for life-saving transplantations for diseases such as thalassemia, leukemia and other blood diseases.
She added that in 2013, 326 units were successfully preserved at DCRC.
Al Arrayed said while the numbers are increasing there is a need for ongoing awareness. "Today, mothers are aware of the benefit of this simple procedure, that's why we are seeing a steady rise in the number of women who opt for cord blood collection at the time of birth. They understand it is a form of health insurance."
She highlighted that the centre provides a tour for pregnant women and families interested in preserving stem cells for their families or for the purpose of donation.
Most Popular Stories
- Rackspace Ends Talks About Possible Acquisition
- Mercedes Rolls Out S550 Plug-in Hybrid
- Plus-Size iPhones Live Up to The Hype
- FedEx Adding 50,000 Holiday Jobs
- Missouri GM Plant Adding 750 jobs
- Toxic Algae Threatens Florida Fishing, Tourism
- Cool Features on Today's New iOS 8
- Family Dollar Spurning Bid From Dollar General
- Kohl's Hiring 67,000 for the Holidays
- Poverty Rate Drops for First Time Since 2006