A reading above 50 signals expansion in construction activity.
The increase in construction activity was driven by broad based improvements in all the sub-categories. Residential construction expanded the most, though the rate of expansion moderated slightly to a three-month low.
Civil engineering activity rose at the fastest pace since March and commercial construction activity continued to increase at a rate that was close to its fastest pace since the summer of 2007.
New work grew strongly in August, marking the sixteenth consecutive month of rise.
Employment levels also continued to increase, though at a slightly slower rate, after the record-high rate in July.
Meanwhile, input costs increased sharply and the rate of increase was fastest since
Most Popular Stories
- Alabama House Speaker Arrested on Felony Ethics Charges
- Microsoft's Cloud Platform Shines
- 'Fury' Blows 'Gone Girl' Out of the Box Office
- Turkey to Help Kurds Reach Fight in Kobani
- ISIS Seeks to Expand Terror War
- German Intelligence Blames Ukraine Rebels for MH17
- Perez Leads Push for Obama's Job Proposals
- 2016 Camaro Shrinks, Moves to Caddy Platform
- New Effort to Ban Child Labor From Tobacco Farms
- Prius Drivers Battle Stereotypes