A reading above 50 signals expansion in construction activity.
The increase in construction activity was driven by broad based improvements in all the sub-categories. Residential construction expanded the most, though the rate of expansion moderated slightly to a three-month low.
Civil engineering activity rose at the fastest pace since March and commercial construction activity continued to increase at a rate that was close to its fastest pace since the summer of 2007.
New work grew strongly in August, marking the sixteenth consecutive month of rise.
Employment levels also continued to increase, though at a slightly slower rate, after the record-high rate in July.
Meanwhile, input costs increased sharply and the rate of increase was fastest since
Most Popular Stories
- PBS Series Examines America's Demographic Shift
- Americans Bet Big on Gambling Industry
- Petri Likely Broke House Ethics Rules
- Exxon Gives Nod to Fracking Risks
- California's Ban on Plastic Bags: What Now?
- Morgan: 'Can't Believe' Wal-Mart Blaming Him
- Wealth Gap Widens as Rich Spend More on Kids' Education
- Lack of Sea Ice Brings 35,000 Walruses Ashore
- Can You Be Fired for Using Medical Marijuana?
- Texas Sees Gains in Hispanic College Enrollment