Bronx resident Tomas Rivera, 51, died by self-decapitation Monday.
The NYPD said Rivera tied a chain around his head and then to a pole before gunning his 2005 Honda CRV and slamming into a parked car.
The incident resulted in Rivera's decapitation, reported the New York Daily News.
Witnesses who called 911 reported what they thought to be an accidental collision until surveillance video confirmed Rivera's intent.
Original headline: Tomas Rivera decapitates himself
Most Popular Stories
- U.S. Families 'Extraordinarily Vulnerable': Yellen
- Hillary Clinton to Address CHCI Conference
- Larry Ellison Steps Down as Oracle CEO
- Alibaba Prices IPO at $68 a Share
- Apple Locks Itself Out of Devices
- Veterans to Get Training as Solar Panel Installers
- Hispanics Doubt Marco Rubio's Chances
- Wildfires Rage in California
- John Cantlie Delivers ISIS Message to Save Life
- Alibaba: Today China, Tomorrow the World