In truth, the Colombian striker is a luxury United didn't really need. They already have
Van Gaal brought in three left-backs in
Overcrowding their strikeforce has been corrected with
And their packed midfield has been addressed somewhat with
But the additions of
Within this selection there's no solid standout central midfielder in the mould of
They all seem more wide or forward minded players. At the back United are also sorely lacking hardened experience in the form of a
It begs the question why so much attention was paid by Van Gaal to United's well oversubscribed wings and attack when defence and centre are so obviously lacking.
But the arrival of Falcao, albeit seemingly unnecessary, could help raise the overall vibe at the club, who have so far failed to win any of their first three matches of the season.
Like the effect
The weak links of defence and centre midfield can't now be cured by money, so instead United must find an answer to their problems from within.
And if anyone can inspire players already in those positions — younger players, or those written off and low on confidence — it could well be Falcao.
The likes of
Most Popular Stories
- Paniagua Wins Grand Prize in Young Artists Program
- IBM to Pay Big to Unload Chip Division
- Yaris Adds French Flair for US Market
- Sub Hunt Brings Cold War Chill Back to Baltic
- Canadian Pacific Ends CSX Talks
- Cowboys Turn Back Clock to Glory Days
- Kerry Cites Moral Need in Weapons Air Drop
- US Stocks Move Higher Despite Drag by IBM
- Peyton Manning Sets TD Passing Record
- Cable TV Not Going Away, Says Cable TV