The crisis centres on the criteria used for the application of the property tax law on hotels.
This comes despite amendments made by President
The official, who preferred to remain anonymous, said: "Last August there was a meeting between Tourism Minister
"The RTA still insists on calculating the real estate property tax according to the market value of the property, and as a result they will raise the burden on tourist establishments by more than 500% on historic hotels overlooking the Nile," the official said.
The Chamber of Hotels had requested the replacement value be used instead of the market value to calculate the real estate tax on hotels, which have been under strain since the 25 January Revolution.
The official predicted that the conference will be held this month to reach an agreement over the criteria in light of the deadline set by the law after the amendment.
According to the official, the expected revenues from the real estate tax ranges between
Most Popular Stories
- Rackspace Ends Talks About Possible Acquisition
- Mercedes Rolls Out S550 Plug-in Hybrid
- FedEx Adding 50,000 Holiday Jobs
- Plus-Size iPhones Live Up to The Hype
- Toxic Algae Threatens Florida Fishing, Tourism
- Missouri GM Plant Adding 750 jobs
- Cool Features on Today's New iOS 8
- Family Dollar Spurning Bid From Dollar General
- Kohl's Hiring 67,000 for the Holidays
- Poverty Rate Drops for First Time Since 2006