Science and Technology Minister Naledi Pandor has urged high school learners, especially those that are in Grade 10 to 12, to consider taking Maths and Physical Science so they can study Engineering.
Speaking at an Africa Engineering Week seminar, held at the
With regards to those qualified engineers who end up in the banking and other sectors, Minister Pandor said government has to make sure that this does not happen.
"We have to make sure that this does not happen and that all those who enrol for engineering succeeds. We cannot afford to lose one of them.
"The future of our country lies in engineering. South Africans, especially our youth, need to understand the extent to which engineering, science and technology have benefited the economy," Minister Pandor said.
The Minister said
She said although the number of students enrolling for engineering courses at the universities and technikons have increased, it was not significant.
Minister Pandor also expressed concern about the recent incident in
"We have to have more qualified engineers and project managers," she said.
Africa Engineering Week
Africa Engineering Week, which starts today, is a collaboration between the
The week, themed Engineering is a life changer, is aimed at highlighting the important role engineers play in everyday life. It also encourages youth to participate in science, mathematics, engineering and technology related studies and careers.
These include a conference on sustainable engineering and a four-day career exhibition showcasing the different engineering disciplines, a photographic exhibition, learner and teacher workshops and a Women in
Most Popular Stories
- Businesses, Investors Pressing for Green Policy
- E-scrap Recyclers Find Profits in Upgrades
- 'The Voice' Sounds Different This Season
- Congress Casts a Coy Vote on ISIS War
- At Groupon, Not a Good Deal of Workplace Diversity
- Lower Used-Car Prices Roil the Auto Industry
- Utah Hosts US Hispanic Chamber of Commerce Meeting
- Investors Fret Yahoo's Future, Stock Dips
- Liberty Power Helps USHCC Go Green
- Porn Lovers Get a New Search Engine