"Affordable higher education for every American has been central to our nation's competitiveness and success," Rep. Peters said. "I would not have been able to attend college without student loans and work study programs. This is a time to be making it easier and more affordable for students to go to college, not keeping it financially out of reach for more and more families."
"My legislation will help speed up the repayment process and lower the burden on students and families. It will increase purchasing power of young people and encourage more students to make the investment in their education that our country needs."
The "Student Loan Repayment Assistance Act" is just a piece of Rep. Peters' ongoing work to reduce the burden of student loans on American families. Earlier this year he introduced the bicameral "Federal Student Loan Refinancing Act" with Rep.
Background on the "Student Loan Repayment Assistance Act"
What it does:
* Extends the deferred payment period from 6 months to 12 months when the national unemployment rate rises above the natural rate of unemployment as targeted by the Federal Reserve
* Creates an above the line deduction for student loan payments made as part of a repayment agreement between an employer and employee
How it works:
* An employer enters into an agreement with an employee to assist him or her with student loan repayment up to
* Like a 401K plan, the employee determines how much he or she would like to pay toward their student loans on a monthly basis and the employer determines the rate at which they will assist
* Employee and employer contributions to student loan repayments are not subject to either income tax or payroll tax
* The total employer and employee contributions would go directly to the loan holder on a monthly basis
How it affects repayment time:
In 2012, according to the
Hispanic #1 Breaking News for Entrepreneurs, Professionals and Small Business Owners - HispanicBusiness.com
OCTOBER 30, 2014
|Customer Service||Policy||Advertise||Site Tools|
|HispanicBusiness Services||Editorial Guidelines||Ad Specifications||Magazine Archive|
|List Rental Agreement||About Us||Media Kits||Post Your Event|
|HireDiversity Job Search||Editorial Calendar||Research|
© 2014 HispanicBusiness Inc. All Rights Reserved.