The 30-share barometer, which had lost 319 points in the past two sessions, tanked 274.28 points, or 1.07 per cent, to 25,314.73.
All the sectoral indices, led by banking, public sector undertakings and oil and gas were trading in negative zone with losses up to 1.63 per cent.
The rupee fell sharply by
Most Popular Stories
- Toxic Algae Threatens Florida Fishing, Tourism
- Hispanic Groups Lead Voter Registration Drive
- Fed Signals It Will Keep Key Rate at Record Low
- Eva Mendes Gives Birth to a Baby Girl
- Plus-Size iPhones Live Up to The Hype
- FedEx Adding 50,000 Holiday Jobs
- Stocks Rise Before Fed Statement
- Occupy Wall Street Buys Up Student Debt
- Cool Features on Today's New iOS 8
- Kohl's Hiring 67,000 for the Holidays