The company is in somewhat of a Catch-22 when it comes to changing its culture.
As its smartphone sales stutter and a generational leadership succession looms,
One effort this summer to foster a more worker-friendly environment and a more creative culture is to allow staff at its main
The flagship of
The ascension of his son and heir-apparent, the
"The company is in somewhat of a Catch-22 when it comes to changing its culture," said
"It desperately needs to adopt a culture that fosters openness, creativity and innovation. But doing so would jeopardise its greatest existing cultural asset, its militaristic hierarchy, which enables it to operate at lightning speed to outpace the comp wetition."
Samsung has long emphasised the need for creativity while hiring more foreign talent as it operates in increasingly diverse markets. Along with relaxed rules on work hours, it stresses a "Work Smart" philosophy to reduce unnecessary time spent at the office. .
Most Popular Stories
- Toxic Algae Threatens Florida Fishing, Tourism
- Hispanic Groups Lead Voter Registration Drive
- Eva Mendes Gives Birth to a Baby Girl
- Fed Signals It Will Keep Key Rate at Record Low
- Plus-Size iPhones Live Up to The Hype
- FedEx Adding 50,000 Holiday Jobs
- Stocks Rise Before Fed Statement
- Occupy Wall Street Buys Up Student Debt
- Cool Features on Today's New iOS 8
- Kohl's Hiring 67,000 for the Holidays