CSP uses a number of innovative technologies to concentrate the sun s energy through large mirrors and utilises the concentrated thermal energy to produce steam to drive a conventional steam turbine for electricity generation. CSP technology is similar to conventional power plants in that steam is used to power a turbine and generator, but the fossil fuel combustion is replaced with free, non-polluting solar energy.
Ayanda Nakedi, Eskom s Senior General Manager for Renewables said: Eskom is committed to investing in projects that will diversify our energy mix, including renewable resources. The potential to deploy CSP technologies on a large scale is promising, and we are pleased to have taken another step forward in funding our Upington solar plant with this loan agreement.
Pim van Ballekom,
Speaking about Eskom s relationship with the EIB, Eskom s Finance Director, Ms Tsholofelo Molefe, said: The EIB is a valued partner who plays a key role in the funding of not only the CSP project, but has also provided funding for other projects in Eskom s capital programme.
This project is being co-financed with the
Over the last five years the
Most Popular Stories
- Steve Ballmer Files Six-Figure Counterclaim vs. Steve Gordon
- Creepers! Microsoft Buys 'Minecraft' Maker for $2.5 Billion
- Back to School, Even in Immigration Jail
- When to Say No to Investors, Yes to Mentors
- Hispanic Buying Power Slow but Growing in South
- Apple: Record iPhones 6 Orders on 1st Day
- U.S. Factory Output Slowed 0.4 Percent in August
- Is a Mayweather, Pacquiao Big-Money Fight Possible?
- Clinton: 'Fabulous to Be Back' in Iowa
- 'No Good Deed' Defeats 'Guardians' at Theaters