Phone and internet companies had some of the biggest losses.
The Standard & Poor's 500 index fell five points, or 0.3 percent, to 1,913 as of midday Thursday. The Dow Jones industrial average fell 54 points, or 0.3 percent, to 16,388. The Nasdaq composite fell seven points, or 0.2 percent, to 4,347.
Bond prices rose. The yield on the 10-year Treasury note fell to 2.43 percent, the lowest level of the year.
Most Popular Stories
- Rackspace Ends Talks About Possible Acquisition
- Mercedes Rolls Out S550 Plug-in Hybrid
- Plus-Size iPhones Live Up to The Hype
- FedEx Adding 50,000 Holiday Jobs
- Toxic Algae Threatens Florida Fishing, Tourism
- Cool Features on Today's New iOS 8
- Missouri GM Plant Adding 750 jobs
- Family Dollar Spurning Bid From Dollar General
- Kohl's Hiring 67,000 for the Holidays
- Poverty Rate Drops for First Time Since 2006