Phone and internet companies had some of the biggest losses.
The Standard & Poor's 500 index fell five points, or 0.3 percent, to 1,913 as of midday Thursday. The Dow Jones industrial average fell 54 points, or 0.3 percent, to 16,388. The Nasdaq composite fell seven points, or 0.2 percent, to 4,347.
Bond prices rose. The yield on the 10-year Treasury note fell to 2.43 percent, the lowest level of the year.
Most Popular Stories
- Pickup Discounts Boost September Auto Sales
- Kurdish Militia Still Lack Weapons, Training
- Lexus Luxury Compact Sedan Wins Buyers
- Review: Pay by Phone or Just Keep Using Plastic?
- Ebola Victim Was Sent Home by Dallas Hospital
- N.Y. Ups Awards of State Contracts to Minorities
- Group Offers Online Help for College Students
- Dallas Parents Fear Students Exposed to Ebola
- Why the Bond Market Isn't as Safe as You Think
- Baker Hughes to Disclose Fracking Chemicals