A new local search engine, www.firstmalta.com has been launched. It is helping internet users save energy by a simple change in the website's background colour from white to black.
It uses the concept that an average computer monitor requires considerably more power to display a white screen than a black one. In a comment, one of the co-founder of Firstmalta.com stated that "Many Maltese are now browsing the internet using a tablet or mobile device and battery consumption is considerably high on such gadgets. We aim to help the Maltese public by saving energy and also by delivering custom search results targeted towards the Maltese public."
This new local website's search results are powered by
The new website combines the largest web index search engine powered with local relevance while providing a new 'cool' way of reducing your carbon footprint on the environment. An average monitor consumes 74 watts when displaying an all-white page. "We conducted an experiment whereby we managed to extend the battery life of a brand tablet by as long as 50% just by using websites with a black background." stated a spokesperson for the website "and it felt easier on the eyes as well" he concluded.
Most Popular Stories
- Rackspace Ends Talks About Possible Acquisition
- Mercedes Rolls Out S550 Plug-in Hybrid
- Missouri GM Plant Adding 750 jobs
- Family Dollar Spurning Bid From Dollar General
- Kohl's Hiring 67,000 for the Holidays
- Cool Features on Today's New iOS 8
- FedEx Adding 50,000 Holiday Jobs
- Poverty Rate Drops for First Time Since 2006
- Toxic Algae Threatens Florida Fishing, Tourism
- Plus-Size iPhones Live Up to The Hype