BCE, Manulife in picture
Stock futures pointed to a higher opening for
The S&P/TSX composite index gained 14.38 points to close Wednesday at 15,202.09.
The Canadian dollar dipped
Canadian Natural Resources reported a higher-than-expected quarterly profit, helped by a jump in product sales and an increase in prices across the board.
BCE posted a 6% increase in second-quarter profit, driven by higher advertising and subscriber fee revenue from its acquisition of TV and radio content producer Astral Media.
Manulife Financial said its second-quarter profit more than tripled due to a stronger performance by investments and other market-related factors, and
Air Canada posted a quarterly profit compared with a year-earlier loss, helped by a
Canaccord Genuity raised the rating on Cineplex to buy from hold.
On the economic front, Statistics Canada reported this morning that contractors took out building permits worth
It's shaping up to be another busy session Thursday.
Ahead of the opening bell, futures for the Dow Jones Industrials recovered 48 points, or 0.3%, to 16,443. Futures for the S&P 500 regained eight points, or 0.4%, to 1,922.75, and futures for the NASDAQ advanced 13.75 points, or 0.4%, to 3,882.50.
Bank of America has tentatively agreed to pay more than
However, no final agreement is expected to be announced this week as the details continue to be negotiated. The bank's shares edged up in pre-market trading.
A slew of companies are reporting earnings Thursday. Wendy's is one of the big names reporting before the opening bell, while CBS, News Corp. and game developer Zynga will report after the close.
The escalating trade war threatens
Oil prices gained
Gold prices dipped
Most Popular Stories
- Alabama House Speaker Arrested on Felony Ethics Charges
- Microsoft's Cloud Platform Shines
- 'Fury' Blows 'Gone Girl' Out of the Box Office
- Turkey to Help Kurds Reach Fight in Kobani
- ISIS Seeks to Expand Terror War
- German Intelligence Blames Ukraine Rebels for MH17
- Perez Leads Push for Obama's Job Proposals
- 2016 Camaro Shrinks, Moves to Caddy Platform
- New Effort to Ban Child Labor From Tobacco Farms
- Prius Drivers Battle Stereotypes