The futures saw continued strength following the release of a report from the
The drop came as a surprise to economists, who had expected jobless claims to edge up to 305,000 from the 302,000 originally reported for the previous week.
The data provides another positive sign for the labor market but may also fuel further speculation about the Federal Reserve raising interest sooner than anticipated.
Traders are also keeping an eye on developments overseas, where the
Most Popular Stories
- Stocks Close Out Best Week in Nearly 2 Years
- Do Voters Want Compromise?
- Timeline for New York Ebola Doctor
- Ebola in New York, Mali Raises Travel Jitters
- Market Jolt Offers a Reality Check for Investors
- Steris to Add 100 Jobs in Birmingham
- 'Kissing Congressman' Admits Mistake in Reelection Bid
- Clinton Rallies New England Women
- Tech Workers Needed in South Florida
- Microsoft Earnings Drive Stocks Higher