The ISM said its non-manufacturing index climbed to 58.7 in July from 56.0 in June, with a reading above 50 indicating growth in the service sector. Economists had been expecting the index to edge up to a reading of 56.5.
With the bigger than expected increase, the ISM said the non-manufacturing index reached its highest reading since its inception in January of 2008.
Most Popular Stories
- Alabama House Speaker Arrested on Felony Ethics Charges
- Microsoft's Cloud Platform Shines
- 'Fury' Blows 'Gone Girl' Out of the Box Office
- Turkey to Help Kurds Reach Fight in Kobani
- ISIS Seeks to Expand Terror War
- German Intelligence Blames Ukraine Rebels for MH17
- Perez Leads Push for Obama's Job Proposals
- 2016 Camaro Shrinks, Moves to Caddy Platform
- New Effort to Ban Child Labor From Tobacco Farms
- Prius Drivers Battle Stereotypes