The ISM said its non-manufacturing index climbed to 58.7 in July from 56.0 in June, with a reading above 50 indicating growth in the service sector. Economists had been expecting the index to edge up to a reading of 56.5.
With the bigger than expected increase, the ISM said the non-manufacturing index reached its highest reading since its inception in January of 2008.
Most Popular Stories
- Consumer Prices Edge Up, Surprising Economists
- Steris to Add 100 Jobs in Birmingham
- Clinton Rallies New England Women
- Market Jolt Offers a Reality Check for Investors
- Ebola in New York, Mali Raises Travel Jitters
- Do Voters Want Compromise?
- Beepi Eases Peer-to-peer Auto Sales
- Stocks Close Out Best Week in Nearly 2 Years
- Microsoft Earnings Drive Stocks Higher
- Timeline for New York Ebola Doctor