A run of forecast-beating data, including numbers pointing towards a recovering jobs market, had fuelled talk that the Fed could raise interest rates sooner than expected, increasing the opportunity cost of holding non-yielding gold.
That sent gold to a six-week low last week, but it recovered after a report on Friday showed US jobs growth slowed in July, allowing the Fed to keep rates lower for longer.
Gold was fixed at
"This could potentially sway some investors back into gold, not from a safe haven perspective as recently seen, but more as an alternative investment," he said.
Investors welcomed news that
In the physical markets, buying remained subdued in the seasonally quiet northern summer, even as many consumers expected prices to decline.
Among other precious metals, platinum was fixed at
New car sales in
"The platinum group metals are an important component used in the fabrication of autocatalysts,"
Most Popular Stories
- Businesses, Investors Pressing for Green Policy
- Who's Next? More Nude Celeb Pics Hacked, Leaked
- Tips for Hiding, Securing Data on Smartphones
- Hispanic Enterprises Drive U.S. Economy
- Fed in No Rush to Raise Interest Rates
- ISIS Calls for Jihad Against 'Filthy French'
- Would You Trade Privacy for Job Security?
- Lower Used-Car Prices Roil the Auto Industry
- Cristela Gets a Big Thumbs Up
- Iran Says Syria Strikes Illegal