ENP Newswire -
Release date- 04082014 -
SORPLAS is flame-retardant recycled plastic comprising polycarbonate plastic recycled from materials such as optical discs from discarded DVDs and optical sheets (light-diffusing films) used in LCD televisions. These recycled materials use
Example of application
Good moldability type 'SPL-EC30'
TV housings and components
High impact type 'SPL-EC50'
Camera housings and components
Thin, flame-retardant type 'SPL-R20T'
Computer housings and components
Conventionally, scrap polycarbonate plastic disposed of at manufacturing and other facilities has been reused by adding large amounts of new polycarbonate plastic and flame retardant. This additional process is to satisfy the flame resistance and strength requirements of consumer electronics products. (Generally speaking, regular flame-retardant recycled polycarbonate plastic contains around 55% added new polycarbonate plastic and approximately 15% flame retardant*2.) SORPLAS incorporates
On this occasion, three varieties of SORPLAS with distinct properties have been developed to suit the specific requirements of a variety of products, encompassing multiple types of scrap polycarbonate plastic and modified blend ratios of various additives.
High good moldability type 'SPL-EC30': Good moldability and easy to mold
High impact type 'SPL-EC50': Resistant to high impacts
Thin, flame-retardant type 'SPL-R20T': Thin and difficult to burn
*1: The amount of recycled content changes depending on the application.
*2: Based on
*3: Comparison with typical flame retardant polycarbonate plastic containing phosphorus flame retardant.
Main features of SORPLAS
1. Achieves up to 99% recycled materials*1Sony's unique sulfur-based flame retardant achieves flame resistance equivalent to conventional flame-retardant recyclable polycarbonate plastic but with only the tiniest amount of flame retardant - less than 1% of the total mass (or less than one-tenth of conventional flame retardant weight *3).
2. Achieves high durability and heat resistanceThe required weight of flame retardant is so small that conventional properties of the plastic can be retained. SORPLAS achieves even better durability and heat resistance (+42?) than conventional flame retardant polycarbonate plastic*3 that has been created using entirely new materials.
3. Environmental impact is reduced through lower CO2 emissions and high recycled contentCO2 emissions can be dramatically reduced because only a very small amount of new polycarbonate plastic and flame retardant needs to be added. Similarly, only a small amount of flame retardant is required, so the properties of the plastic can be retained, even when recycled repeatedly. This in turn helps contribute to reduced environmental impact.
SORPLAS, , and BRAVIA are trademarks or registered trademarks of
Most Popular Stories
- Pickup Discounts Boost September Auto Sales
- Kurdish Militia Still Lack Weapons, Training
- Review: Pay by Phone or Just Keep Using Plastic?
- Lexus Luxury Compact Sedan Wins Buyers
- N.Y. Ups Awards of State Contracts to Minorities
- Ebola Victim Was Sent Home by Dallas Hospital
- Dallas Parents Fear Students Exposed to Ebola
- Group Offers Online Help for College Students
- Baker Hughes to Disclose Fracking Chemicals
- Why the Bond Market Isn't as Safe as You Think