Eskenderella band performs at Al-Fan Midan in July
(Photo Courtesy of Eskenderella)
Security forces blocked the organisers of the Al-Fan Midan (Art is a Square) street festival from setting up in
Security forces have attempted to shut down the street festival at least three times since it was founded in 2011.
The organisers said they obtained permission from
Security forces told the organisers that they must obtain permission from the
Al-Fan Midan's organisers contend, however, that the presidency, which directly controls
After appealing to the
In an attempt to give the public "the right to practice all types of art in the streets freely, without any ban from the state", Al-Fan Midan has hosted free cultural events since its launch in
Throughout the past three years, the festival has faced obstacles.
Most Popular Stories
- Tablets, Cars Drive AT&T Gains
- 2015 Mazda MX-5 Miata Is Fast and Eager
- Small Businesses Add 3 More Worries to Their List
- DOMA Tech Adding Jobs to Process VA Claims
- Apple Warns of China iCloud Attack
- Tech Firms Flock to LA's 'Silicon Beach'
- Job Hunting Is Hard Work
- Stocks Subdued After Gains Earlier in Week
- Ford, GM Expect to Report Strong Profits
- IS Funded by Black Market Oil Sales, Racketeering