The early weakness on
While the data points to an upbeat economic outlook, it also fuels speculation that the Federal Reserve may raise interest rates sooner than anticipated.
Nonetheless, traders seem somewhat reluctant to make any significant moves, limiting the downside for the broader markets.
Most of the major sectors are showing only modest moves, although some weakness is visible among oil service, gold, and steel stocks.
The major averages have climbed well off their lows for the young session but currently remain stuck in the red. The Dow is down 47.30 points or 0.3% at 16,521.98, the Nasdaq is down 13.48 points or 0.3% at 4,370.41 and the S&P 500 is down 6.77 points or 0.4% at 1,932.22.
Most Popular Stories
- Paniagua Wins Grand Prize in Young Artists Program
- Yaris Adds French Flair for US Market
- IBM to Pay Big to Unload Chip Division
- Sub Hunt Brings Cold War Chill Back to Baltic
- Cable TV Not Going Away, Says Cable TV
- Cowboys Turn Back Clock to Glory Days
- Canadian Pacific Ends CSX Talks
- Kerry Cites Moral Need in Weapons Air Drop
- German Intelligence Blames Ukraine Rebels for MH17
- US Stocks Move Higher Despite Drag by IBM