Energy stocks turned in a particularly strong performance on the day after showing a notable move to the downside over the past few sessions. The NYSE Arca Oil & Gas Index surged up by 1.8%, bouncing off a nearly two-month closing low.
The rebound by energy stocks came amid an increase by the price of crude oil, with crude for September delivery climbing
Significant strength was also visible among internet stocks, as reflected by the 1.6% gain posted by the Dow Jones Internet Index.
Computer hardware, software, steel and chemical stocks also saw considerable strength on the day, while gold stocks bucked the uptrend amid a drop by the price of the precious metal.
The major averages pulled back off their highs going into the close but remained firmly positive. The Dow rose 75.91 points or 0.5% to 16,569.28, the Nasdaq advanced 31.25 points or 0.7% to 4,383.89 and the S&P 500 climbed 13.84 points or 0.7% to 1,938.99.
Most Popular Stories
- Doctor Who Christmas Episode Begins Production
- HCL America Adding 1,200 IT Jobs
- Medical Mfg. Jobs Coming to Dayton
- Michael Jackson, Freddie Mercury on Previously Unreleased Queen Cut
- Longtime Unemployed to Get Help in Las Vegas
- SpaceX Aims for Predawn Launch on Saturday
- Women Key to Democratic Party: Clinton
- U.S. Chamber Caught Up in Tax Inversion Question
- Feds Won't Say How Many Border Crossers Jailed
- Christie Didn't Order Bridge Shut Down, Feds Say