RESTORATION: The Shafi Masjid, one of the oldest mosques at the Harrah Al-Mazloum in the historical
"The commission has made strident efforts for the restoration of many historical mosques across the Kingdom in cooperation with the
"Mosque restoration has been ongoing since the Saudi state was founded," he said. "Restoration initiatives continue under a program devoted to this purpose."
"These mosques will be open for prayer in urban heritage sites in an attempt to preserve their religious and historical roles in society," he said.
The preservation program was formally launched in 1977 under the aegis of the late
The program aims to preserve local architectural style across the country.
According to SCTA sources, restoration work is under way in the Al-Shafi and Al-Memar mosques in the
The Al-Sakhra Mosque in Al-Ula was also restored through funding from
Three more mosques in
Two mosques were restored in the
Several mosques were also restored in the
The restoration works on the area's mosques were funded by the
A total of 13 mosques have been restored so far, according to the SCTA media department, while 11 mosques are scheduled to be restored in the near future.
Meanwhile, 90 mosques have been surveyed by the
A royal decree issued in 2008 prohibits abrasive misuse of Islamic sites in
Most Popular Stories
- Doctor Who Christmas Episode Begins Production
- HCL America Adding 1,200 IT Jobs
- Medical Mfg. Jobs Coming to Dayton
- Michael Jackson, Freddie Mercury on Previously Unreleased Queen Cut
- Longtime Unemployed to Get Help in Las Vegas
- SpaceX Aims for Predawn Launch on Saturday
- Women Key to Democratic Party: Clinton
- U.S. Chamber Caught Up in Tax Inversion Question
- Feds Won't Say How Many Border Crossers Jailed
- Christie Didn't Order Bridge Shut Down, Feds Say