At the very heart of our legal system is, every defendant has the right to be represented by legal counsel, as stated in the Miranda rights read during the initial arrest. However, many who are arrested for the first time experience panic and stress, and may miss these facts.
Private criminal defense attorneys can charge as much as
To request a court-appointed lawyer, customers must provide details about the financial situation to demonstrate that they are unable to hire a private attorney. The first opportunity to make this request is during the arraignment or first court appearance.
Some courts can delay or postpone the arraignment until the client has a lawyer that will represent them throughout the case. Some courts also like to delay future appearances and lawyer appointments until the financial situation can be investigated to see if they qualify for a court-appointed attorney.
Most people have no true understanding of how the criminal justice system works or what the process is after they are arrested and brought before the judge for the first time. For some crimes there is a pre-determined bail. If it can't be posted, the person arrested may be held in the county jail awaiting the court appearance.
Those with limited income may be granted "partial indigence." Under this rule, the arrested will be represented by a court-appointed lawyer, but will have to reimburse the state for a portion of the legal costs.
For more helpful advice about securing bail or navigating the judicial process, call Sterling at (609) 549-8005 or log onto its new website.
Read the full story at http://www.prweb.com/releases/2014/08/prweb12132985.htm
Most Popular Stories
- Alabama House Speaker Arrested on Felony Ethics Charges
- 'Fury' Blows 'Gone Girl' Out of the Box Office
- Turkey to Help Kurds Reach Fight in Kobani
- Microsoft's Cloud Platform Shines
- German Intelligence Blames Ukraine Rebels for MH17
- ISIS Seeks to Expand Terror War
- Perez Leads Push for Obama's Job Proposals
- 2016 Camaro Shrinks, Moves to Caddy Platform
- Prius Drivers Battle Stereotypes
- Clinton Rallies Early Vote for Landrieu