Aug. 28--OTTUMWA -- This Labor Day weekend, take a break from work and attend a festival, see a show or help someone in need. There are many events to choose from, and many of them will support your neighbors while you're having a relaxing time.
1. The action, food and entertainment continue Friday and Saturday at the 109th Moravia Fall Festival. Friday's events include a children's parade, kids' games, tractor pull, cake walks, Bingo, Masonic Lodge supper and a free street dance that will follow the 7 p.m. performance by the Quarter Inch Jack band. The Moravia firefighters will host breakfast Saturday morning, and there will be a classic car show from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.Grace United Methodist Church will serve the luncheon, and the Fall Festival Big Parade begins at 3 p.m., followed by the 4-H Club ice cream social. For a complete schedule, check out the Moravia Fall Festival page on Facebook.
2. Join former Ottumwan Donny Edwards for two special Elvis Presley tribute shows this weekend. Donny Edwards Live! A Tribute to Elvis will be held at 7 p.m. Friday and Saturday at Bridge View Center. When Edwards was young, his father brought the family back to his hometown of Ottumwa. With a love of Elvis' music from that young age, and with his remarkable resemblance, he competed in an Elvis contest and took first place. He has a popular Elvis tribute show in Las Vegas, but he is now able to bring his talents back to southern Iowa. For more information, call Bridge View Center at 641-684-7000 or go to www.BridgeViewCenter.com.
3. More than 90 members of the Ottumwa Professional Fire Fighters Association Local #0395 will be taking part in the firefighters' annual Fill the Boot fundraising campaign for the Muscular Dystrophy Association over the Labor Day weekend. This year's drive will take them to the intersections of the Five Corners and Venture Way. They will be there from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.Aug. 29-31 and Sept. 1, so there will be plenty of opportunities to help out. The community's donations will benefit children and adults affected by muscle disease throughout the area.
4. Bring your lawn chairs, blankets and bug spray to the final Central Park Cinema presentation of the summer. This weekend's movie will be Despicable Me. Concessions will be available for purchase. In case of rain, head to Market on Main for a indoor viewing. For more information, call 641-799-3464.
5. Wrap up your Labor Day weekend at The Beach Ottumwa with your canine companions. In partnership with the Heartland Humane Society, the annual Dog Paddle will be held from 6-8 p.m. Monday. Bring your dog, on its leash, along with proof of rabies vaccination, and enjoy the water park for this special swim. Dogs should be at least 4 months old, and you'll need to bring your own towels. Admission is a donation of dog or cat food for the shelter animals.
-- Courier Features Editor Laura Carrell can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org
(c)2014 Ottumwa Courier (Ottumwa, Iowa)
Visit the Ottumwa Courier (Ottumwa, Iowa) at www.ottumwacourier.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services