U.S. consumers are the engine that powers the U.S. economy. Spending by folks on
A healthy consumer willing to spend is good for corporate profits, as cash registers that scream ka-ching, ka-ching are good for both the top and bottom line. If the stock market, which is trading near record highs and is no longer cheap, is to continue to find a following of willing buyers on
Recent readings on the job market, which point to more work and fewer folks lining up to sign up for unemployment benefits, point to a happier consumer. And the latest reading on the mood of consumers in August, released by the Conference Board on Tuesday, showed consumer confidence at a post-recession high. Stronger than-expected readings released Thursday on second-quarter GDP and the number of pending home-sale contracts in July also point to consumer strength.
The consumer will get another stress test today, when data will be released on July personal income and spending. The University of
Most Popular Stories
- Businesses, Investors Pressing for Green Policy
- Who's Next? More Nude Celeb Pics Hacked, Leaked
- Tips for Hiding, Securing Data on Smartphones
- E-scrap Recyclers Find Profits in Upgrades
- Iran Says Syria Strikes Illegal
- Cristela Gets a Big Thumbs Up
- ISIS Calls for Jihad Against 'Filthy French'
- 'The Voice' Sounds Different This Season
- Congress Casts a Coy Vote on ISIS War
- Lower Used-Car Prices Roil the Auto Industry