Tilt RISE OF HEALTHCARE COSTS IN
A 2014 report titled "Better Health Care and Lower Costs: Accelerating Improvement through Systems Engineering" was produced by the
l Accelerate the alignment of payment incentives and reported information with better outcomes for individuals and populations. It involves the implementation of outcomes-based payment and will promote transparency' through more meaningful information for providers and patients.
2. Accelerate efforts to develop the nation's health-data infrastructure. It involves interoperable electronic health records and accessible health information to accelerate information sharing.
3. Provide national leadership in systems engineering by increasing the supply of data available to benchmark performance, understand a community's health and examine broader regional or national trends. It would include inventory of existing data sources, identifying opportunities for alignment and integration, and increased awareness of their potential; expanding access to existing data through open data initiatives; promoting collaboration with other federal partners and private organizations; and creating a more focused and deep datascience capability' through advancing data analytics and implementation of systems engineering.
4. Increase technical assistance to healthcare professionals and communities in applying systems approaches. Provide hands-on support to small practices to develop the capabilities, skills and tools to provide better, more coordinated care to their patients.
5. Support efforts to engage communities in systematic healthcare improvement. Incorporate systems engineering principles at the community level; set, assess and achieve population-level goals; promote systems thinking at the community' level; and encourage grantees lo engage stakeholders outside of the traditional healthcare system.
6. Establish awards, challenges and prizes to promote the use of systems methods and tools in healthcare. Recognize healthcare providers successfully applying systems engineering approaches.
7. Build competencies and workforce for redesigning healthcare. Ir involves educating clinicians, disseminating best practices, funding innovative health professional curricula that include systems engineering and implementation science, and funding systems engineering centers of excellence to build a robust specialty in health improvement science.
Systems engineering tools and methods will play a major role in improving the value of the healthcare system and patient health. -;Ricardo
Develop the nations health-data infrastructure.
Valerdi is an associate professor at the University of
Most Popular Stories
- Businesses, Investors Pressing for Green Policy
- E-scrap Recyclers Find Profits in Upgrades
- Congress Casts a Coy Vote on ISIS War
- At Groupon, Not a Good Deal of Workplace Diversity
- 'The Voice' Sounds Different This Season
- Lower Used-Car Prices Roil the Auto Industry
- Porn Lovers Get a New Search Engine
- Liberty Power Helps USHCC Go Green
- Utah Hosts US Hispanic Chamber of Commerce Meeting
- Investors Fret Yahoo's Future, Stock Dips