"They obviously preyed upon her willingness to assist them," Assistant U.S. Attorney
Conklin and Sanford have pleaded not guilty to federal charges of carjacking, using a gun during a violent crime and bringing a stolen vehicle across state lines. A
Two friends found
Sanford and Conklin were arrested two days later in nearby
The prosecutor's account and court documents detail how the suspects, who had met months earlier at an
Neither Conklin nor Sanford, who both have criminal records, spoke during Thursday's detention hearing. Sanford's assigned attorney,
"I do understand (Conklin) may be trying to switch the blame onto
In court Thursday, Lynch described how, with Conklin hiding out of sight, Sanford knocked on the door of Whitaker's ranch-style home about
"With that ruse, it was
She was shot again in the leg before Sanford dragged her into the garage and joined Conklin in searching Whitaker's home for valuables, the prosecutor said. Afterward, "while she was gurgling on her own blood,
A tribute on the downstate orchestra's website called her a "true and caring friend and an exquisite artist."
Sanford was convicted in 2012 of statutory sexual assault. Conklin has four felony convictions, including for burglary, and was wanted for grand larceny at the time of his arrest.
A preliminary hearing was scheduled for
Most Popular Stories
- Tablets, Cars Drive AT&T Gains
- 2015 Mazda MX-5 Miata Is Fast and Eager
- Small Businesses Add 3 More Worries to Their List
- DOMA Tech Adding Jobs to Process VA Claims
- Apple Warns of China iCloud Attack
- IS Funded by Black Market Oil Sales, Racketeering
- Tech Firms Flock to LA's 'Silicon Beach'
- Job Hunting Is Hard Work
- Stocks Subdued After Gains Earlier in Week
- Ford, GM Expect to Report Strong Profits